Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An old pc is a terrible thing to waste...

Well personally I have a few old ones still lying around from xt,s to 286,386,486,p1,p2,p3 etc...My personal favourite was the old xt,s where you had to have just about every card from memory(being your base memory ) to ide(which included your bios with the battery either a loose bat which clipped on to the side of the casing or on the ide card if you got the latest!!lol..), and then the old floppy 5 1/4" to boot from and if you were very fortunate you had a 5 or 10 meg hdd the size of a brick..

They were the best in my book with regards to stretching your patience to the limit because as some of you who were fortunate enough to have worked with them, might remember nothing was "compatable"to put it mildly and you had to get absolutely every card for that pc working together otherwise it just gives you the nice little big middle finger and you had to start over and over untill everything matches..

So..I will still keep them around even if it is just to show modern pc techies to appreciate the technology of today and how easy it is to put things together these days without too many hitches..THEY WERE GREAT WEREN,T THEY??
    Practise what you preach.

yes they were great. and i have collected quit a musem myself but i stoped collecting from 486 on because their's just too many of them. i just threw a bunch of 486's out.

todays 'old' computers aren't worth s*it. their strictly garbage unless you have a use for them such as a fw, router or test box and because of their number they will never be worth collecting....at least not in my lifetime
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I always find them usefull to playround with, mess the OS's up, install new ones, recreate problems that I am trying to fix on a different box, play round with all the settings and generaly just do things on it that you wouldnt like to do on your everyday box!

Also good to installany software on it you are not sure about, or put on a network unpatched and see what you can do to it, then patch it up step by step and see what it changes.

Well I have a little PII ASUS that I have all few free firewalls on and I think I've found a way to effectively knock a particular brand out with a request to where you have to restart the application. As soon as I pinpoint what makes this happen I'll send it off to a friend and get back a custom little app.

Blast From the Past
    486, 8megs ram, no network of any kind
    windows 3.1

matrix screen saver
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger