New Orleans Speech
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans Speech

New Orleans Speech

I can't believe this hasn't been discussed yet! So, what is the general opinion of Bush's speech last night from Jackson Square? For those who may have missed it, here is a link!

My thoughts...

It was a lovely speech, I wasn't horrified that he was representing our country for a change. A little too much religion for my taste, but that's me.

Great ideas put forth, sounds like he's got a much better grip on the reality of the situation than he did last week. For those who are yelling that it's too late, I'd just like to say that you can't change what's happened, all you can do is move forward and make sure it doesn't happen again. It sounds like that's the way Bush is headed, and I'm willing to give him credit for that. It's a sin and a shame (to quote my mama) that it played out the way it did, and that the people who died had to die, but now we have to work on helping the living.

I did have a couple of concerns. I'm quite pleased with most of the ideas put forth. I was really impressed with the $5000 mentioned for people to use as a "college fund", more or less.

I propose the creation of Worker Recovery Accounts to help those evacuees who need extra help finding work. Under this plan, the federal government would provide accounts of up to $5,000, which these evacuees could draw upon for job training and education to help them get a good job, and for child care expenses during their job search
    And I thought that the land lottery they mentioned was a bit of an innovative way to progress.

And to help lower-income citizens in the hurricane region build new and better lives, I also propose that Congress pass an Urban Homesteading Act. Under this approach, we will identify property in the region owned by the federal government, and provide building sites to low-income citizens free of charge, through a lottery. In return, they would pledge to build on the lot, with either a mortgage or help from a charitable organization like Habitat for Humanity.
    This part was great too...I've already been to the site and found several volunteer positions I've "applied" for, and a list of schools that have needs.

I've asked USA Freedom Corps to create an information *************, available at usafreedomcorps.gov, so that families anywhere in the country can find opportunities to help families in the region, or a school can support a school.
    However, this part makes me a bit nervous!

It is now clear that a challenge on this scale requires greater federal authority and a broader role for the armed forces -- the institution of our government most capable of massive logistical operations on a moment's notice.
    As someone who lives in a "hurricane zone", I'm not really sure that loads of military and government officials landing on us everytime the wind blows is a great idea. I want to see some specifics, specific conditions and specific answers to when/where/why/how this will take place.

My other concern with the speech is Who exactly is going to pay for all of this? What programs are going to be cut to pay for it? Are we going to pay more taxes? I sincerely doubt Bush is going to raise taxes. So who's going to lose, while all of these people 'win'?

In a summary after the speech last night, it was pointed out that never since FDR's New Deal has this country undertaken such a sweeping Federal Plan for recovery. There were a lot of winners in the New Deal Plan. There were also a lot of losers.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Deb - I've only one thing to add - military logistical... so long as it stayed ONLY logistical I wouldn't mind so much. It's the fastest way to get supplies in. Now armed troops descending on us would be a much different matter..
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Yeah...supplies and rescue are fine. Like I said, I just want to hear specifics of who/what/when/why/how. I'm not against the idea. I'm against undefined plans and open-ended agreements.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    Debby,

You do understand that Bush is strategically spending out the ass to keep any (D) that may wonder in office in the next election under the blanket of a high deficit? That Reagan wave Clinton road and took credit for hasn't quite been paid for yet. Now I don't know who his PR advice people are but they're horrible. If they would let Bush be himself it would've went better........ like him flying over the super-dome personally throwing MRE's over with a bullhorn in hand saying some reassuring Texas ****.

As for the rebuilding.........a lot of the monies will get squandered. I've said it before and so has Bill Nye the science guy...all of the hurricane prone areas need to go unrground concerning the power lines. The first thing that needs to be done is the periphery needs to be palisaded and fortified. New Orleans needs to be impervious to water before any infrastructure is built. This is the time to make the NO bigger and better than it was before. We need to build the biggest partying town in the world........ We need to trump the South American Carnival.......We need the worlds biggest 24hr Fat Tuesday.... an average wednesday needs to trump thecarnival of Binche!

Originally posted here by !mitationRust
    If they would let Bush be himself it would've went better........ like him flying over the super-dome personally throwing MRE's over with a bullhorn in hand saying some reassuring Texas ****.
    Somehow, I don't think "We're gonna get Katrina, dead or alive!" was really what anyone wanted to hear last night.

Banned
    Where did I see that at......................Conan O'brien?

Mmm, nope, sorry. Those were inane ramblings posted after a 4 hr Cuban dinner with several pitchers of Sangria.

Banned
    lol....I typed wonder. Well I saw something similar on Conan where they have the still pictures and have the guy’s mouth moving..... They had Bush saying "We're gonna get Katrina" " We're gonna smoke her out of her cave" lol.

I live a pretty TV free existence actually. I don't watch that stuff too much. Somebody did send me a link to a site that had a rundown of all the monologues and jokes that had been made by the Leno/Letterman brigade. I'm not sure what the show is, but I think it's Politically Incorrect? That guy really let everyone involved have it, they were pretty funny.

I haven't read the article yet, but I noticed one of the headlines on my local news sites this morning says that the Officer in charge of recovery is calling Ray Nagin's timeline for bringing people back into NO is "extremely problematic". I can see both sides of that argument without even reading the article though.

Cuban dinner

MMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Sangria

MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.