Thread: Dutch Parliament to fight serious cybercrime!

Dutch Parliament to fight serious cybercrime!

A substantial majority in the Dutch Parliament's lower house is behind justice minister Piet Hein Donner’s proposals to fight the more serious forms of cyber-crime.

Computer hackers, mass spammers, denial-of-service perpetrators and spreaders of virulent viruses, for example, could face a year in prison. And those caught stealing information could receive a maximum of five years in the slammer.

According to minister Donner, public prosecutors and the police would also be given additional powers. On the resource front, there are some 150 police personnel in the Netherlands currently deployed in fighting cybercrime. The public prosecution service is also steadily increasing its anti-cybercrime personnel. Furthermore, detectives involved in tactical operations will receive supplementary training by 2008.

The minister also reported that the future of the National High Tech Crime Centre (NHTCC) - a temporary collaboration involving the national police and Ministries of Justice, Internal Affairs and Economic Affairs whose mandate expires at the end of November- would be decided shortly.

However, the minister does not harbour any illusions, considering the scale of the cyber problem: 'We should not be fooled into thinking that internet surveillance is just as simple as street surveillance.'
    Source
    Good calls, indeed.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Hi BC,

I applaud the Dutch...unfortuately it won't matter much...eg. if a phishing scam comes from Nigeria...or a spammer outfit is in Tacoma, Washington...or the hack comes from Argentina.

Eg

Hi Eg~,

I think it is a good step twoard introducing legislations to fight illegal activities, if every goverment started to legislate something similiar it would be like a massive crackdown on Scam .... soon it will matter, I believe.

We will always have some countries for Scammers to initiate attacks from....

I don't know if the EU will introduce something similar soon?

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I don't know if the EU will introduce something similar soon?
    The EU countries are moving towards:
    http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/en...s/Html/185.htm
    Convention on Cybercrime
    Laws are being renewed throughout europe.
    fyi