Hackers target net call systems

Thread: Hackers target net call systems

Hackers target net call systems

The biannual Symantec Threat Report identified Voice over IP (Voip) systems as a technology starting to interest hi-tech criminals.

The report predicted that within 18 months, Voip will start to be used as a "significant" attack vector.
    "While there are currently very few reported attacks directed at Voip systems," he said, "Symantec believes it's only a matter of time before attackers target it more intensely."

The report also said that Voip could fuel a renaissance of an old hacking technique known as war-dialling.

In its original form this involved making a huge number of phone calls to find out which ones respond with a data tone.

With the VoIM also being release by Yahoo and others just another method of attack/spamming.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say;
    fools, because they have to say something.

It was only a matter of time as VoIP deployments continued to increase over the past two years in both the home and business marketplace.

I actually helped setup a call centre here in Australia and between me and the 2 other guys that I was working with, we found some interesting flaws etc in VoIP.
    It was only a matter of time before war dialling came back in.