Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to load boot disc

It's a gas!

unable to load boot disc

I have a spare pc which im trying to install windows on.
    Its 5 yrs old and i had to replace the hdd on it.
    I have a copy of windows xp which im trying to install on it to no avail.
    The cd doesnt boot up automatically even though i have selected to boot from cdrom in the bios.
    So i tried to run a windows 98 boot disc to get cdrom support - in order to browse the windows xp cd and run setup.exe - but the fdd doesnt light up at all.
    I tried the cable around the other way but then the green light on the fdd is steady, so the cable must be connected correctly?
    I tried the fdd from my other pc in the spare but i get the same problem, even though it works fine in this!
    I really want to get windows installed on this spare so if anyone can help it would be really sppreciated.

Thanks

If I had the time I'd install it on another comp then hook it to that one just to see what the outcome could be.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    XP Home or Pro ?
    W98 boot floppy to browse XP CD ?
    is the 'new' HDD brand new, or 2nd hand [if so is there another OS on it - fat32] ?

have you tried swapping the FDD cable ?

Did you try to boot from floppy [W98 disc] on the other PC ? to check it works ?

As a first, I generally [always] totally strip down the 'new' PC.
    full clean up, brush, air can, vacuum cleaner, the works.
    rebuild it CAREFULLY
    try it again ........

as you have a second PC, does the XP CD work in THAT one ?
    that is, will it boot from the CD ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

If memory server, the solid green light used to indicate that the ribbon cable was plugged in upside down or broken. Make sure pin 1 is the connected to the side of the ribbon cable that has the stripe.

OR try another fdd
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

It's a gas!
    Not sure if its home or pro.
    Yeah the win98 boot disc will simply give me a command prompt so i can browse the cd in the cdrom.
    The new hdd is brand spanking new!
    Im guessing the fdd cable is fine considering if its inserted incorrectly it will produce a steady green light on the fdd?
    Ive tried the win98 boot disc in my other pc and it works fine.
    Im able to browse the xp cd in my other pc fine, however, it will not boot automatically, prob a mobo issue

Just re read your op Yes you're correct. I missed "tried the cable the other way"

duh.

I'd still try a new fdd IMO
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    however, it will not boot automatically
    is that for the 'new' PC or the spare ?

and you say you suspect Mo/Bo issues
    did the HDD die of 'natural' causes ..........wear and tear ? or was it after some kinda power out ? [some type of electrical spike, 'might' have damaged HDD and Mo/Bo ........]

5 years IS a long time in I.T.
    Do you have a budget for the repair ?
    Is it over it already ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Is it an original Cd or a burned one? Just wondering as you say you don't know if it is Pro or Home.

If it is burned, some older CD drives have trouble reading burned CDs. Try moving your other CD drive to the old computer.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

It's a gas!
    the new pc
    yeah the hdd dies of natural causes
    no budget, just want to get the damned thing working

im thinking maybe i should install the new hdd in my working pc, install xp on that then switch the hdd into the old pc

Just a brief observation, it doesn't say you selected the floppy in bios to boot off of. Don't know if you missed this, or just didn't state it.

Also, if it were me, I would check it with the FDD out of the other computer (a known good one) again, and verify that you connected the power cable. Sometimes this slips your mind. If this doesn't work, and BIOS is set right, I would say you have an issue with the FDD controller. On machines these days its integrated and will require a new MOBO, or an expansion FDD card.