Thread: Google's way of securing WiFi

Lightbulb Google's way of securing WiFi

Seems like Google will let you connect to their VPN and have a more secure WiFi connection...hmmm

http://wifi.google.com/download.html

So far, as per usual, it's in beta, and only for the San Fran bay area.

Snipit from their FAQ:

What is Google Secure Access?

Google Secure Access is a downloadable client application that allows users to establish a more secure WiFi connection.

Why would I want to download and install Google Secure Access?

Google Secure Access allows you to establish a more secure connection while using Google WiFi. By using Google Secure Access, your internet traffic will be encrypted, preventing others from viewing the information you transmit.

I would want a lot more information about the type of encryption, type of VPN and all before I download and install. If I already have a VPN client I use to access work systems in an open wireless "hotspot," why would I add another? Tunnel a VPN through another VPN?

Maybe they need that in the Bay area.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Ok, so the MORE relevant link is to the FAQ page, not the download page.

http://wifi.google.com/faq.html

So it's someone's 20% community project. That's cool! I think the problem here is some people see the almighty G and assume it will be fundamentally transcendental, such as Google search was, and this is by no means that big of a deal.

Still, it's good to see them doing it for free. "Do no evil" and all of that too, yada yada.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore