Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On my WIFI...

On my WIFI...

I have an open wifi access point (i want it that way). There is someone using my network with SharedDocs set with open read/write permissions. I keep a couple folders with music and video open likewise (without write permissions) so i can share with people browsing my network. I know it's a HUGE security hole but i really don't care. Anyways, i was wondering if it was possible to view the contents of the rest of this persons drive and if it was possible for them to see the rest of the contents of mine.

Thanks.

Uh yes. As to how depends on your OS. If you're running on fat32. No problem. NTFS, little more work. So what OS are you on and what file system?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Im on WinXP with NTFS

Banned
    \\computername\c$ would give you access to his whole C-drive. All you need to know is his computername. Oh, and you might have only a bit restricted access on his system if he has set up his security correctly. You might have to provide login information like username and password of an useraccount on his system. Probably 'administrator' and no password if he's really dumb.
    Then again, others can do that with your system. With a bit of luck, they might even manage to guess your password and gain full access to your system. It is a big security hole but hey, if that's what you want...

It's like storing all your money in a cardboard box and putting it outside near your front door. Most people won't even bother to look anyway. But if someone does look...

<edit>Example: my computer is named "Katje" so I would use \\katje\c$ to access my system. And it works, even if I access my desktop from my laptop. Am using Windows XP and indeed, I get access. But I think there need to be some other options set to get access to a remote system.</edit>

i tried "\\computername\c$" against my own pc as well as the other and windows gave me an error message saying it cannot be found. Also in addition to the previous question... is there a way to share the files i want to keep shared while keeping the rest of the drive secured?

Originally posted here by schroeder
    i tried "\\computername\c$" against my own pc as well as the other and windows gave me an error message saying it cannot be found. Also in addition to the previous question... is there a way to share the files i want to keep shared while keeping the rest of the drive secured?
    OK, I think there is a little knowledge gap here. If you can't access your root admin share on your PC by typing \\computername\c$ Then you are not an admin on that box.

Perhaps you are trying to access something that doesn't belong to you?

The box on my network doesn't belong to me. But on my own computer i only have one user, the administrator. Using "\\computername\c$" on my own box while logged into that account doesn't seem to work.

Regal Making Handler
    i tried "\\computername\c$" against my own pc as well as the other and windows gave me an error message saying it cannot be found.
    Use "net view" to see who is on your network.

If you use "net use \\computername\c$" you will need a login name and password. By default xp doesn't let you login without a password set.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

stil no dice. I'm trying it on my pc and all methods are coming up the same. Is it just because the drive itself isn't being shared? Does this mean that the rest of my drive is totally secure then?

NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
    [/USER:[domainname\]username]
    [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
    [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
    [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

This is from W2K but I don't know if 'net use' has been changed in XP.

From a command prompt \\computername\c$ should open windows explorer to the C Drive. If it doesn't there are two issues. The admin share has been removed or the user does not have rights to the admin share.

Now if you are trying to attach to a PC that is not in your workgroup or domain - even if the workgroups are named "workgroup" the \\computername\c$ command will not connect. The error of "cannot be found" indicates that you are not the administrator.

Log on to the box you own with the user name of administrator and try - from a command prompt \\computername\c$

If you still get the error, check to ensure that there is a share on your C: named C$