Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On my WIFI...

\\nmae\c$ only works if the share is on...

otherwise it would be \\compname\sharename

"totally secure"

haha not a chance
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

The C$ share is on by default, To view your shares ensure the following

1. The server service must be running, if it is not execute this at
    the command prompt

net start server

Start--->Run--->Compmgmt.msc

are browse to Shared Folders in the tree. Also you can set various required properties
    by right clicking the shares and selecting Properties from the menu.

Seems like theres a good deal of assumptions and wrong information in this thread.

First, you cannot use net view to view what computers are present unless you're in a domain. You can use it to show what shares are available once you know a computer name. Secondly, you cannot map to your own c$ share. The assumption I'm speaking of, is that the remote user is running windows and even has a c$ share. He could be running Samba, with a SharedDocs share. Theres a good chance that it is a windowsXP machine due to the name of the share, but thats a big assumption.

If he is running windows and has a c$ share, you will only be able to attach to it with his admin account. Same with your machine, he will only be able to reach yours with your admin acccount. Make sure that the password isn't easily guessable. In any case, I wouldn't recommend trying to break into his drive.

If you'd like to find out what shares you have available, right click my computer and goto manage, the goto the shared folder/shares entry.

good explaination zenger.i have one question here. i use a router to connect 4 computers in my house, but all 4 does not seem to be connected. what i should do to make all 4 computers are connected..
    buat baik berpada-pada,buat jahat jangan sekali

Originally posted here by NIKLAS?
    good explaination zenger.i have one question here. i use a router to connect 4 computers in my house, but all 4 does not seem to be connected. what i should do to make all 4 computers are connected..
    Theres a long list of things that you need to do. First, are all of these machines hardwired? I'll start assuming that they are. If they aren't things will change.

Make sure you have a link light on the computers and on the router for each computer. This verifies that you have a connection at the physical and datalink layer. From here, are you using DHCP? All of you addresses need to be in the same subnet to talk, i.e. 192.168.1.x where each machine has a different X but the rest is the same with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The gateway should be the address of your router. This is a typical home setup. I won't explain how else it could be configured as there are 1000 page books that do this.

At this point try to ping fro the command prompt the router, via its IP, "ping 192.168.1.1". If you get a reply then you have IP connectivity to your router. Try to ping the other machines via IP. If this works then you have your basic IP connectivity in your network.

Let us know if it fails during these steps or if all of this works.

...also, is there a way to search for all computers connected to my network without going through the router tables (WinXP). I'm sure there must be, I just can't figure it out. Sorry, I'm new at networking...

dinowuff-
    If it isn't too much trouble... I don't know too much about command line and would like a little explanation on how to use the solution you presented to me:

NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
    [/USER:[domainname\]username]
    [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
    [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
    [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

...for example what would "devicename" be and "volume" and are all the characters supposed to be used as shown or are they representative. If it's too much to ask is there a good tuorial that would explain command line to me.

NET USE [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]

Using this syntax you could map say drive z: to a share on a computer named server, with a share named my_share like:

net use z: \\server\my_share

If you add the /persistent, it will remap upon reboot. The /delete flag can be used to unmap the drive

If you need to use a username then add /user:administrator admins_password to the end of it. IE for the same share, with a user named jeremy and a password of aorox

net use z: \\server\my_share /user:jeremy aorox /persistent

Just curious here...
    Are you using "computername" or the actual name of the box you're trying to attach to? You see his shared docs so you must be able to see his computer name.
    For example, my box is named precious so you would do \\precious\c$ (if my default shares were enabled).

-ts
    -ts

i'm using the the actual name of the box which is \\deepthought. \\deepthought\ipc$ seems to be the drive (correct?) So "net use \\deepthought\ip$" connects me succesfully acording to the Computer Management \Shares folder... but where do i go from there? I am connected and trying to access ipc$ through the network instead of my own computer. How do I view the contents seeing as how I am connected. Also I only have one user on my PC (Cloak and Dagger) which has administrative permissions, so do i have to re-login to map the drive which is the part that's not working. I'm trying "net use z: \\deepthought\ipc$ /user: cloak and dagger *password". Is this correct? Is it alright that there are spaces in the username or am i supposed to leave them out or something.

Thanks for all the help.