Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $0.02 Regarding Firefox Security

Symantec based this on flaws found though. That doesn't exactly work comparing opensource to proprietry.

Of course there's going to be less found in IE if you can't see the source code!
    Compiling all the stuff for OS X...

Looking back at..8 patches,I think someone said?Along with SP1,SP2 and now SP3 for WinXP..all deemed very important updates..all this without MS releasing source code..think about what could happen if they did:P

Banned
    Symantec based this on flaws found though. That doesn't exactly work comparing opensource to proprietry. Of course there's going to be less found in IE if you can't see the source code!
    all this without MS releasing source code..think about what could happen if they did:P
    Wow... you both know **** all about application security testing.

Do you honestly think that the most effecive way to test software is by having people read through volumes of code to ensure that correct techniques are used? You know who does that? OpenBSD, and wow is that a big steaming pile of pseudo security coupled with all the functionality one might have expected from an operating system in 1992... only slightly less robust.

Modern application testing is done with with resouce tracking, debuging tools, and fuzzing techniques... the availibility of the source only aids in more rapid development of exploits and root-kits.

Does this mean that code levels tests are useless? Of course not, they are just not an effective means of discovering vulnerable software and represent a marginal percentage of total discovered exploits within the open source community.

cheers,

catch

/me grins

Apologies catch..that post was just meant as humour..nothing else.Thanks though,you've given me something to think about.

Cheers.

OOps... flaws found? I meant flaws patched. Damn that just made me look stupid... :S

They're saying that there have been more flaws found and patched for Mozilla than IE.

I really should read what I post more carefully.

Anyway, we all know that Symantec are well into scaremongering. All their going on about a Mac OS X virus is just stupid. If it was really that likely to happen, it would have happened already. I'm not saying it's not possible, just a lot harder than Windows.
    Compiling all the stuff for OS X...

Smile Anonimizer! Maybe..

New product for the Security Wary
    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/43012.html

Anonymizer Total Privacy Suite sits in the Firefox browser's toolbar as three rows of display windows or buttons. When the browser is updated and users install a newer version of Firefox, the privacy suite remains in the new running browser version, Itzhaki said.

The first row displays the real IP address of the Web site being visited. The second button launches the anti-spyware module. The third button deletes surfing history.

When the Firefox browser is connected to the Internet, the privacy suite automatically updates the signature file database from Anonymizer's server Get Linux or Windows Managed Hosting Services with Industry Leading Fanatical Support. Latest News about Servers.

"Although there's no such thing as perfect security on the Internet, Total Privacy Suite provides the highest level of identity protection available for Firefox users," Itzhaki asserted.