Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Admits Longhorn [Vista] is Broken

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Microsoft Admits Longhorn [Vista] is Broken

Here ya go folks.

http://tinyurl.com/7undd

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Heh, awww.. too bad. Ya know, that Jim dude sure looks like some kind of weird female trans or something. Anyways, thanks for the link horsedude..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Microsoft's holy grail is a system that cranks out a new, generally bug-free version of basic Windows every few years, with frequent updates in between to add enhancements or match a competitor's offering.
    Haha, thats by far the best part of the article.

Geeish !!!! i don't believe it micro$oft admitting something ? , finally they are
    waking up.

For thehorse13 : i thought the line in your signature is from Paparoach - Scars.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Tend to agree with warlock - glad to see the giant is waking and smelling the coffee. Perhaps they'll write something of good use without bugs...like an o/s...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Regal Making Handler
    Perhaps they'll write something of good use without bugs...like an o/s...
    I think recently they have forgoten what an OS is. After all it is just an inviroment for applications to run in. It should not be a one stop solution for all operating needs.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I'm confused. The headline on this thread says Longhorn (Vista) is broken. The article says Windows is broken, and kinda leads to Vista being the savior, etc.

Inquiring minds ...

Eh, horse?

Hi,

The way I read it, they seemed to be saying that their traditional development process was broken?

In the past, MS OSes have tended to be a development on top of a predecessor, whilst Longhorn (Vista) is supposed to be a major innovative departure? I guess that this has shown up the shortcomings in the development model?

Yes, I agree with nihil

From page 1 of the article referenced above ( I loved this one ):
    Old-school computer science called for methodical coding practices to ensure that the large computers used by banks, governments and scientists wouldn't break. But ... companies like Microsoft didn't have time for that.
    As I read it the article describes the changes in development methodology and ideology of Vista back toward old school to fix the unfixable original Longhorn.

But I do have a problem nihil with your use of the word "traditional" when referencing Microsoft's development process. But then again, I guess they started that "tradition" that others now follow?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hi IKnowNot

When I used the word "traditional" I was referring to Microsoft's traditions. For "old school" I would tend to use the term "classical"