Thread: Maybe a new scam maybe not.

Maybe a new scam maybe not.

My last Name is Wills, so it just is weird.

First Email ..

Dear Wills,
    I am Barrister Abbey Okon, a solicitor at law. I was the Personal and family lawyer to late Mr. Craig Wills, a national of your country, who used to work with Chevron Oil Company in Nigeria; here-in-after, referred to as my client.
    On Sunday, 27th of January 2002, my client, his wife Lady Anna and their three children {Elizabeth, Dexter and James} were involved in terrible Bomb Blast that took their lives and the lives of other innocent souls. About 1,000 people lost their lives in the Bomb Blast. Just take a look at this web-page,
    (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2698081.stm),you will understand what I am talking about. Since then I have made several enquiries to your embassy to locate any of my late clients extended relatives. This had been an effort in futility.After several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to search his last name in the Internet in order to locate any member of his family. It was in this process that I got your name and email address. I have therefore decided to contact you to assist me in claiming and retrieving the fund left behind by my client before it is confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank where it is lodged.
    The bank where my late client had an account with a deposit of US$18.6 million dollars has sent me a letter of notice to provide the next-of- kin or have the account frozen. In view of the fact that I have been unsuccessful in locating his relatives for the past two (2) years, I now seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of my late client since you have the same last name, so that the fund in this account valued at US$18.6 million dollars can be paid to you. Thereafter, you and I will share the money; 50% to me and 50% to you.
    I will process legal documents that will be used to back up our claims. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us claim this inheritance. I
    guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. Please get in touch with me
    to indicate your interest.
    Yours truly,
    Barr. Abbey Okon
    Principal Attorney

Second Email

Dear Wills,

I have received your response to my business proposal. First I must thank you for your understanding and prompt response, which I sincerely beleive it will bring tremendous changes into our financial lives.

For your information I have had series of discussion with the bank before I decided to present you to the bank as a relative to my late client since you have advantage for bearing the same surname with my late client. It does not matter if you are truly related or not. This decision became necessary as the only means to stop the bank from confiscating the money. I have every information to
    the account of my late client. I will use my position as his personal lawyer to ensure that the money is transferred to you as the next of kin to Late Mr. Craig Wills. This is the only way I can stop the bank from confiscating the money.

I like to assure you that this business will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect both of us. I will support my presentation of yourself as a relative to my late client with affidavit of claim from the federal High Court of Nigeria. On my part I will do all I can to make sure that you are not worried about my intentions for contacting you with regards to this business. And
    this I intend to do by sending to you the following documents for your comfort and convenient.

1.Certificate of funds deposit issued to late Mr. Craig Wills.
    2.His Death certificate
    3)My personal identification
    I intend to send all these so that you will know that my purpose is honest and that I do not have anything to hide at all. All I need from you to proceed are: Your full names, your address, your date of birth, your marital status, your profession and telephone number.

I need you to receive this money for our benefit believing you will not double cross me after I have presented you to the bank as the relative to my late client.

On receipt of this email, I will appreciate you call me on my private telephone number: +234 8055400395 for further discussion on the procedure to repatriating the money.

Remain blessed.

Best regards.

Mr. Abbey Okon (Esq)

is this a scam for my person Information? thanks.

edit: And there using Yahoo, that seems a bit odd.

Also i was reading the other scams and it mentions dont dial a 234 area code like the 809 ones.

It is a phishing scam and you were selected at random. What do they want? Likely access to your bank account. These are successful often enough that the perps continue to do it.

Yes it is a scam.

1. Nigeria = scam, hell man, it is their second largest earner after oil

2. It should be "Dear Mr. Wills"

so they used Random %n and there they go.. ok thanks. Should i play with them

I would be inclined to contact Chevron Oil legal/security department..................I am sure they will be highly delighted that their Company Image is being brought into disrepute

Otherwise/and refer it to the FEDs................I understand that they are now co-operating with the Nigerian anti-fraud authorities.

Ah.. the Nigerian advance fee fraud..

A simple cut and paste of a part of the mail could have helped you..
    They are all the same, just different names and dates..

This is not to get personal information..
    The idea is to get some money out of you..

Some great sites about nigeria's 419 scams..
    http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
    http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
    http://www.419eater.com/
    http://www.419fraud.com/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Regal Making Handler
    Standard scam, as pointed out already.

It's called a Nigerian 419 scam. you have had some good advice already but if you want to play take a look here: http://www.419eater.com/

<edit>
    the_Jinx was faster on the ball
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

thanks.,

got another email and just wanted to keep you updated :

Dear Mr.Wills,

I have received your response to my business proposal. First I must thank you for your understanding and prompt response, which I sincerely beleive it will bring tremendous changes into our financial lives.

For your information I have had series of discussion with the bank before I decided to present you to the bank as a relative to my late client since you have advantage for bearing the same surname with my late client. It does not matter if you are truly related or not. This decision became necessary as the only means to stop the bank from confiscating the money. I have every information to
    the account of my late client. I will use my position as his personal lawyer to ensure that the money is transferred to you as the next of kin to Late Mr. Craig Wills. This is the only way I can stop the bank from confiscating the money.

I like to assure you that this business will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect both of us. I will support my presentation of yourself as a relative to my late client with affidavit of claim from the federal High Court of Nigeria. On my part I will do all I can to make sure that you are not worried about my intentions for contacting you with regards to this business. And
    this I intend to do by sending to you the following documents for your comfort and convenient.

1.Certificate of funds deposit issued to late Mr. Craig Wills.
    2.His Death certificate
    3.My personal identification

I intend to send all these so that you will know that my purpose is honest and that I do not have anything to hide at all. All I need from you to proceed are: Your full names, your address, your date of birth, your marital status and your profession.

I need you to receive this money for our benefit believing you will not double cross me after I have presented you to the bank as the relative to my late client.

On receipt of this email, I will appreciate you call me on my private telephone number: +234 8055400395 for further discussion on the procedure to repatriating the money.

Remain blessed.

Best regards.

Mr. Abbey Okon (Esq)