Thread: Cable LAN?

Cable LAN?

I know three individuals who have home networks in my building, we all use the same ISP and I believe we are all close in the IP range.

My question is, what would be the easiest way to set up a network or LAN from two different locations? We tried sniffing eachother out on the network, but cable is a little more secure than it used to be. Any suggestions on trying to sniff eachother out?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    You mean over the Cable ISP network? Not sure you'll get very far...at least no farther then you would doing it over the general internet. They probably lock down any and all LAN type protocols. You'd be better off making a wireless community network throughout/around the building.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

********** |ceWriterguy
    If the other guys are willing to help with a few bucks and the labor involved, why not wire up cat5 and go full tilt with it? Doesn't take a whole lot of effort, or cash for that matter.

Apols to Zen - I'm still wary of wireless, not to mention the speed difference (if there's still one - last I studied up you could get 10basex on wireless and 100basex on cat5)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I was just thinking back 5 - 6 years ago when Cable networks were so insecure you could easily browse the systems on the network.

We usually have LAN parties at one house, we were just curious if it would be possible to connect from one house to the other (without using a server to run the game). I'm guessing this is going to be more complex than I thought.

Oh well, I guess I should pay more attention to my tech skills. I'm starting to date myself.

Thats kind of true ITG, the older games used IPX (non-routable) protocol and the Cable was insecure. I used to find games all the time. Join them piss people off etc.

Most games you have to run a server for more than two people but they usually ship with. I used to have a really really long cat5 I tossed over to my neighbor when we played but it has to be a crossover or be fed into an uplink port on a switch or hub.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Thats kind of true ITG, the older games used IPX (non-routable) protocol and the Cable was insecure. I used to find games all the time. Join them piss people off etc.

Most games you have to run a server for more than two people but they usually ship with. I used to have a really really long cat5 I tossed over to my neighbor when we played but it has to be a crossover or be fed into an uplink port on a switch or hub.
    IPX is routable protocol. Just not over the Internet as it's only a LAN protocol. If you really wanted to look into it, you could get cable routers that support VPN and create site-to-site VPNs amongst you all. Not sure if games will like that, but it might work. You might need to get DNS servers (or host file entries) setup if you want to browse each other's computers by name rather than IP all the time. If you have VPN capable routers, or the cash to buy one, it'd be a fun thing to try.

Funny you say that, we were just discussing VPNs.