Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to respond to "You sent me a virus"

Originally posted here by hesperus
    For a little more peace of mind it might be worth submitting the file in question to Jotti. Perhaps some scanner is hitting a false positive.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    Learn something new every day!

AntiVir Found nothing
    ArcaVir Found nothing
    Avast Found nothing
    AVG Antivirus Found nothing
    BitDefender Found nothing
    ClamAV Found nothing
    Dr.Web Found nothing
    F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
    Fortinet Found nothing
    Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
    NOD32 Found nothing
    Norman Virus Control Found nothing
    UNA Found nothing
    VBA32 Found nothing
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

*LOL* It was a wetware issue
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

Hahaha.. dinowuff that was some funny stuff man. One of those situations that was a pain in the A, but at least you can look back in laugh. A lot of great responses though. We have trouble with emails all the time and I continuously get emails from employees complaining about all sorts of stuff. Actually a great troubleshooting thread right here

One thing I would have done was to ask her the title of the email and then look in your sent box to see if you still have it and then examine the original document.

Good to hear it was just a mix up

How it can be possible that all the mails of a single person are infected with virus . it would be ok if he/she says that one or two are infected but not all.And even if they are infected what the hell the nortons and mcafees are there for scan them for viruses .Moreover attachments are mostly scanned by the server so its just a fiddling question its not possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Great One[B][I][FONT=arial][COLOR=blue][SIZE=3]

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Dino~

You need to know if it really is a virus, or have they set their system to reject certain attachments.

Does the actual e-mail get through intact?

I know of a company that rejects "all" attachments and will give you a special email address if you need to send a file. The file is checked by the IT team and then delivered to the individual it needs to go to "on a CD" or "printed".

Anytime I hear the "all"-word in reference to the email someone is getting from my organization, or from someone in my organization, my skepticism meter starts pegging into the red zone.

This is one of those things that is often more effectively processed in reverse order. Start asking specific questions of the person making the "all" claims and work your way back. Chances are, you'll resolve the issue after a few minutes grilling the "all"-claimer.

Hi, techtrix

How it can be possible that all the mails of a single person are infected with virus
    If their local PC is infected, and infects everything that they send. If they don't scan for viruses regularly and their system is not set to scan outgoing mail. Hey, there have been enough mass mailer malwares in the past haven't there?

Remember that to begin with, the AV probably won't detect the malware anyway.

Like rapier57 I was suspicious when it was mentioned that "all" attachments were supposed to be infected..................yet only one customer was complaining?

Wow, thanks for the laugh, dino.

Stuff like this happens all the time at my office, so I feel a little better knowing someone else is suffering the same fate.
    Blankety Blank Blank Blank!