Thread: Novell ZENworks Buffer Overflow Question

Post Novell ZENworks Buffer Overflow Question

Hey guys, our network at school uses Novell ZENworks for Desktops v4.0. Now I have nmaped some of the computers there and it seems that all of them have port 1761 wide open , and im pretty sure that is not a good thing, can someone explain to me 1. How these "Novell ZENworks Multiple Remote Pre-Authentication Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities" work, 2. How an attacker would go about doing this 3. And finally a solution to the problem.

Trying to get the system admins attention at our school but he doesnt think its a risk, maybe with more information i might be able to change his mind

No one?!?!

I'm a n00b, so I can't help you with the specifics of what you're doing, but from my observations of the more seasoned vets here, they'll tell you to go out & do research. Google is your friend
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

wow, google is your friend, thats pretty usefull, thanx

*LOL* I was trying to give you a hint. I had a quick look at Google, and the very first hit was something that looked like it might answer at least some of your questions. Try using the stuff in quotes in your original post.

Incidentally, I think that most of the people with more experience would have told you the same thing. From my own experiences here, they don't like it if you don't do at least SOME research on your own. Plus, learning how to use (or exploit ) Google for your research is a VERY handy skill.
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

1761 is port used by the Zenworks Desktop Management Agent. just because its open (which its supposed to be) doesnt mean its vulnerable. patches have been released. of course this does not mean the admin is doing his job.

for a hacker to use this of course he would have to have/gain access to the network. but if this is accomplished they can easily have admin rights on the network so of course your very screwed as opposed to just being plain screwed if the perp just gains access to your network and finds the vuln patched.

you can find exploit code here

this will send shell code to a vulnerable machine and run it which will allow you to operate from/on that machine with the privilages granted by the zenworks server to desktop admins. of course you have to have the metasploit framework installed to use it which makes it somewhat useless to someone hacking in and if you can install it on a network machine you probably dont need it but this does show the danger of this vuln and if it can be coded for metasploit it can be easily be coded to run without it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”