Thread: WRT54G: Sniff Wired from Wireless

WRT54G: Sniff Wired from Wireless

From my laptop that is connected wirelessly to a WRT54G, I want to sniff a computer plugged into one of the wired ports using arp spoofing. I turned wireless security off, so it is completely open. Is this possible? Also, if it is possible, can it also be down with encryption turned on? (I use WPA-PSK with TKIP.)

I tried with Cain wirelessly and was only able to get half-routing for the DNS servers, DoSing the wired computer. Cain worked for wired to wired just fine. Is there a better Windows program to do this?

(I downloaded the Knoppix Auditor CD to try linux apps, but I want to know if it's even possible first, before I start going nuts with ndiswrapper and remaking the bootable CD.)

Thanks a lot!

you will have to blow open the switching on the router -- flooding the cam tables is the standard approach, though I don't know what defenses, specifically, the wrt54g will have. (if you know the mac addie of the nic you want to spoof, you can do this pretty easily, otherwise, you'll have to brute-force it.)

You're not going to see all the traffic on the wired ports because it is a switch.
    Blankety Blank Blank Blank!

There are ways around a switch, you are on the right track with arp spoofing/poisoning.

Try nemisis (google it) what you are trying to do can be quite simple but it is a big subject, have a read of the Spoofing section of this paper I wrote for a CEH class i took last year
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=261022

Nokia,

I am still learning the ways of AO. Sometimes it appears to be OK to directly tell someone how to exploit a vuln. (for example, ARP and MAC spoofing in this case), and in other posts, people get negged and criticized for explaining how to craft an attack....I am so confused.

Anyways, to staticsage:

The link that Nokia provided will tell you exactly what you need.
    Blankety Blank Blank Blank!

I know what you are saying Miracle and agree, I go off the "feel" of the post.

We all got to learn somewhere, I learnt from setting up my own LAN in my house and paractising on that, which is what staticsage seems to be doing.

He didnt seem obnouxious in the way he asked hae seemed to genuinely want to learn on his own equipment - which I cant see a problem with!

If you want to help someone, help them, dont worry about what everyone else will think!

Thanks a whole lot for all the feedback guys. I'll check out all the links. I do just want to learn things...with no malicious intent. I got an internship in Network Operations for an investment bank, so I'm basically just learning as much as I can.