Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ur opinion on a new forum

Ur opinion on a new forum

Hi all

I just want to say that the cellular technology is on the boom and everyone is carrying a cellphone. Mreover they are getting more and more complex by workin as close as possible like computers(E-mai, word,excel documents etc..). Virus threats for the same are also growing.

So it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a forum dedicated to cellphones, pda's and other such wireless gadgets.

Whats your opinion.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

This has been proposed before, and the same objections still apply.

1. Virus and malware that a cell phone/ portable device can be subjected to is covered in the virus and the spyware/malware forums, and there would not be any reason to duplicate the information.

2. There has not been enough posts, or sufficient interest shown in just cell phones and or portable devices.

This is of course just my opinion on the matter though.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

1- If you have a suggestion you have to post it in the "Site Suggestions Forum" not in the GCC.
    2- No one will post something better than Moxnix's why-not-to.

Cool post Moxnix.

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Banned
    Personally, I think the cellular topic is already covered in the "Wirless security forum. Okay, it's a different kind of wireless but it's still a wireless security issue in my opinion.

And I do agree with Moxnix, although point 2 might not be valid in the near future, when development tools for cellular devices will become more popular. Then again, many smartphones are usign Windows Mobile or Windows CE, which should be covered in the Microsoft security forum. And of course the many PalmOS systems which are covered in... Hey, those systems do miss their own forum!

So basically, a forum for PalmOS and propriety cellular systems would be an option if there was enough interest in it. Apparantly so far there's just not enough interest, I guess.

I don't agree with moxnix, it's better to have a forum early with 20 topics then too late when every other security site has the forum and active discussions, if you make it earlier, search engines will turn up AO when looking for cellphone security.

IMHO.
    O.G at A.O

Good point ©opy®ight, and one I never even considered. Although I am not sure if we really need to advertise with an incomplete and very sketchy forum.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

well, it is not a matter of racing others without a clear reason or cause, having a forum dedicated to cell phone security will be just idle and inactive unlike the rest of the forums we have in AO.

Cell phones security is still very seldom term and at a local level compared to other security issues, and not a very hot topic to discuss, we still need some time to get to that point, IMHO.

Do you think that Cellphone forum will be really active? I don't think so.
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Re: Ur opinion on a new forum

Originally posted here by Mystery Man
    Hi all

I just want to say that the cellular technology is on the boom and everyone is carrying a cellphone. Mreover they are getting more and more complex by workin as close as possible like computers(E-mai, word,excel documents etc..). Virus threats for the same are also growing.

So it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a forum dedicated to cellphones, pda's and other such wireless gadgets.

Whats your opinion.
    I think it's actually a very good idea. He didn't just mention cell phones...other gadgets also include things like the PSP which just got an internet browser with it's newest upgrade. People are already developing cool apps that you can use, such as PSP IRC. (Previous to this firmware upgrade, you had to use Wipeout Pure's browser). The truth is, more devices are going online and more and more apps are becoming available to download for them. Perhaps it doesn't have to be strictly a security related forum, but it wouldn't hurt under general technology.
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

Whether or not devices are online may not even matter. There are still as yet unsolved obstacles in the process of forensically recovering data from these devices. Whether we're dealing with cellphones, pda's, ps2's, refrigerators, or gas pumps, security is not the only issue. And security is still an issue even when these devices are not online.

Gas pumps need to be programmed securely or they can be tampered with. Inventory control RF handhelds are not Internet able in most cases, but security is still a huge issue. If I arrest a drug dealer, you can bet I want to see whose numbers he's got stored in his phone. I also need to be able to prove that I didn't plant them there, ehich is a field still very much in its infancy.

So I think what we're looking for is a forum dealing with embedded technologies, not specifically those which are online and/or employing wireless communications.

But I do agree it may still be too early to add another forum for which I cannot find any related posts in the last few months. Perhaps if it was headed by someone knowledgable in the field who can generate good discussion.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Hey Hey,

I think this is a lousy idea... As Katja already mentioned we have a Wireless Security forum that mentions that it includes Cell Phones, PDA's, etc...

Striek has made a good point about the forensics of these devices, but we have a forensics forum already and if people have the option of posting something on forensic recovery of an embedded device in either the Forensics Forum or a new Embedded Device forum... it'll be too many options, we'll see double posts from newbies, this way Forensics can all stay concise... Securely programming gas pumps can easily fall under the programming forum... RF handhelds would be wireless still... Whether or not it is on the internet is irrelevant... wireless is wireless... Recovering numbers from a cell phone and proving you did... Forensics Forum.

Any of the topics that come up related to these devices are going to fit in another forum be it Forensics, Viruses, Scams, Hardware, Wireless, Programming, etc.. AO is, for the most part, about fairly broad forums.... I think that a forum of this nature would be a little too specialized.

Peace,
    HT