Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deleting what seems to be undeleteable?

Most likely the filename in the directory is corrupted in some wierd way.
    Norton utilities will allow you to Hex edit the directory, but you have to know
    what you are doing. Well, at least this worked in FAT32, and I assume they
    also support NTFS. Otherwise, ignore it, or if possible, delete the folder that contains
    this file (if it is in a folder).
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

no the dir is the desktop and hex editing would did no good due to the fact the file has no value. Emm tried deleting the desktop folder the files still remain. Im thinking a fresh install is my only option.

Hi,

I know this is a bit late but what operating system are you using? Win2000 or XP?

I would say that you have an "orphan file reference" in the Registry. The file doesn't exist (so you can't delete it) but the reference does, and it appears in your desktop.

The solution is to delete the Registry entry. I would suggest that you do a search and see if you can find it, then report back. Please do not do anything to it until we have had a look, and check out the procedure for backing up the Registry first

Double post to get the link to work

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

It is free for private use, and is in BETA!!!!!!!!!!......................I would suggest that you use it to see if it detects your "phantom"

Be careful!!!

SOLUTION

I was having the same problem someday so i create this program...it will delete the file!!!!!!!!!!!

Was also wondering, the filename, is it a long string of random characters? Also, is it located within your user profile, under local settings either under the temp folder or temporary internet files? (this assuming you are using windows). I ran into a similar problem when manually cleaning out those folders from a roomate who had entirely too much time on his hands. Wound up getting a few files like that in there. It has no file ending. Can't be deleted. When you right click on it, there are virtually no options to chose from. Sounds stupid, but the way I got rid of them was similar to an earlier post, but instead I dragged and dropped the file into an empty folder on the desktop. I was then able to delete the folder with the undeleteable file within it. *shrugs*
    %42%75%75%75%75%72%70%21%00

Guys, from what Puff~ seems to be saying, he has tried most of those possibilities.

I suspect that the real problem is that the file does not exist other than as an entry in the Registry?

The problem is the windows!!!!!!the program i upload will run before windows load!it will just load the files the program needs!!!!You can only delete the file using that program.it uses activeX in registry to start up!!!

Hmmm seems your right it was in the registry, funny how we can exhaust all known resources and the sob is right in front of you. It's like my teacher once said, "Once you get it you'll be kicking yourself". Oh well sorry for racking everyones brains, but it's nice to know that there are people out there willing to help.

"orphan file reference" hmmm!...damme your good nihil!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”