OS authomatic shutdown...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS authomatic shutdown...

OS authomatic shutdown...

Help Please!!! when i installed the win98 and i open the my documents folder its authomatic shutdown the computer whats the problem? What will i do, can you help me please...

Were you able to reboot into Win98 again? If not, what error code did it spit out at you? Usually has something to do with RAM. Either chip creep or a bad stick. Can't tell without some error codes. Some of the other more experienced guys on here might know though.

Hi rerimando and welcome to AO.

I have some questions:

1. Is this Win 98 Second Edition?
    2. Does it actually shut down the computer or does it reboot it?
    3. Does it happen if you boot into safe mode ?

As a first step, try booting into safe mode and run scandisk then defrag.

Hi rerimando,

Does this only happen when you open the My documents folder or does it happen regardless what you are doing?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

is actually reboot the computer when i open the (my documents) folder, i already used scandisk but can't fix the problem. what will i do help me please.....

rerimando, please read 'all' of the advice and follow 'all' of it or it will lead to circular thinking.
    nihils advised
    3. Does it happen if you boot into safe mode ?

As a first step, try booting into safe mode and run scandisk then defrag.
    and you answered:
    i already used scandisk but can't fix the problem.
    The operable phrase and the most valuable for you to try is:
    As a first step, try booting into safe mode
    Please follow his advice and then after you have, advise us of the results.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

rerimando,
    Give us some more info on your motherboard,hardisk size ,ram, cpu,screencard etc..Also tell us if it was a clean install or did you try to re-install over an existing installation..??If you did install over a previous one i would supect that to be part of your problem..What you can try is reboot your pc press f8 when your pc starts up and select command prompt only..Type the following in the command line:deltree windows..It will ask you if you are sure you want to delete the whole directory of windows but thats ok..press yes when promted and hit enter..

Then type the following..del command.com and press enter..BEAR IN MIND THAT THIS WOULD DELETE YOUR WHOLE WINDOWS DIRECTORY AS WELL AS COMMAND.COM..REMEMBER DELETING YOUR COMMAND COM WILL MAKE YOU PC UNBOOTABLE..before you reboot make sure that you can boot from your cd rom and put win 98 in your cd drive..boot from the cd and run your installation from there..

All your personal stuff would still be there but you might have to install some third party drivers for you screencard and motherboard etc..BE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DRIVERS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DO THIS..

Hope it helps
    vanman
    Practise what you preach.

the motheboard is CPU 1.7 GHz, ASUS P4V533-MX, RAM 128 MB, harddisk 40 GB and sreencard is built-in. is a clean installation...

did you reformat the drive??
    Practise what you preach.

I already reformat the drive, but have the same problem...