Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work with a ntfs partition outside microsoft windows

work with a ntfs partition outside microsoft windows

hello

in my computer i only install microsoft windows xp in one partition, until today i have been installing microsoft windows xp in a fat32 partition so that i could use a linux live cd and work with the system files without booting microsoft windows

but now i want to install microsoft windows xp to a ntfs partition, is there a way to work with the system files without being in microsoft windows?

thanks

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, just so we're on the same page:

You've got a fat32 formatted hdd with dual partitions, one for Linux, one for XP.

You want to move to ntfs for the windows boot.

You want to do this while protecting your personal files and keeping linux on the machine, yes?

Best solution: Get a 2nd hard drive. You can't put linux on an ntfs format (to the best of my knowledge). What you CAN do is format the 2nd drive to ntfs, mount winxp on it, xfer your winfiles from the fat32 drive to the ntfs drive, then backup your linux files to CD, repartition drive 1 for all linux, restore the linux files from cd, and boom, you're done.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I believe that it can be done, in that Linux will see the NTFS partition BUT I think you would have to be cautious in using Linux to write to the partition. I seem to recall that was an issue in the past?

Perhaps if you told us your make and version of Linux, more knowledgeable types will be able to give you a more definitive answer?

i only have one harddrive and one partition where i want to install microsoft windows, there is no linux or any other partition and i don't want that. thanks!

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ah,k. so you want to go from fat32 to NTFS. Easy enough - back up your essential files to CD, reinstall using format to ntfs, restore backed up files.

Meh. re-read your question - I'll offer up this, from experience with UBUNTU linux live -

Unfortunately it likes fat32 and doesn't much like ntfs, tends to get glitchy. I know of no other way to edit your system files without booting into windows on ntfs format. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AOs Resident Troll
    actually

you do not have to reinstall to convert to ntfs...you just use the convert utility...

as suggested...it is always good to do a backup first

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx

and AFAIK...linux reads ntfs

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

but now i want to install microsoft windows xp to a ntfs partition, is there a way to work with the system files without being in microsoft windows?
    By that, do you mean that you want to use a bootable Linux CD?

If "yes" then be cautious about trying to write to your files, I am not sure if that issue has been resolved?

AOs Resident Troll
    When I was in school...many moons ago

We had systems with multiple OSes

We used to put a 500mb fat partition in the front (first active partition) and then install the OSes.

The OSes would dump what boot loader files they needed in this fat partition which would then point to the partition where the OS system files resided.

I had one machine 4 partions 3 OSes.

I am slightly confused at what you want to do...if you just want to convert the current install...used the utility I posted above...

I have used it many times...with no ill affects

if you have data on it...always good to back up first

MFG
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I know that many live cds do support ntfs. One that I've been using a lot recently is whax (old whoppix). I have been able to mount ntfs partitions but only as read only. So, you will not be able to write to the partition. Here is what I do...

I have a ntfs partition that I use for xp. The live cd will mount the filesystem as read only.
    Then I have a fat32 partition that I can read and write from either operating system.

I'm sure that other live cds out there support reading of ntfs.

Here is a live distro that claims to not only read, but also write to ntfs.
    http://overclockix.octeams.com/

It was my understanding that writing to ntfs was still experimental... so, I'd be careful.

As mentioned above, it is not necessary to format and reinstall to convert from fat to ntfs.
    However, if you are planning on adding another partition for fat32... then it might be worth it. Something that might be easier is to install an old hard drive as a slave (we all have boxes of them laying around, right?) and use that as your fat32 partition.

You have many options... just how much work and time do you want to put into it?

I'd go for the converting of file system and adding a second hd for the fat32.
    You will still need to backup your data! Just in case...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

you can buy ntfs support for linux, such as --> http://www.ntfs-linux.com/index.htm

It works fine for me ---> but i use only in a emergency, not an a day-to-day basis....

It has a boot option too.
    On that page there is a demo.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.