dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can not obtain IP address

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in. Was looking for a general networking thread, but didn't see one.

I have a computer that is set up for DHCP, but it unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP Server which is running on the router.

There are 26 workstations in the office and 6 network printers.

The line to the computer is good. I used a Fluke meter and got continuity and also went further by bringing my laptop and connecting to the internet with the same line going to the computer.

Windows does not see a problem with the NIC card.

The router is running default for everything.

I"m thinking it has to be a layer 2 problem. BTW, the network has a two switches.

Another laptop is having a simular problem on the network. By chance, I tried to troubleshoot the network with my own laptop and got connectivity. Later the user connected and was able to go onto the network. We've ended up doing this a lot. I didn't have time to check to see if it is the same problem.

Is there anything I should be looking at? Also, any troubleshooting tips from the pros?

Just Another Geek

Re: Can not obtain IP address

Originally posted here by warriorfan808
    Windows does not see a problem with the NIC card.
    This doesn't mean it couldn't be faulty

Also have a look at your speed/duplex settings (on the NIC and on the switchport).
    If you use Cisco switches I highly recommend fixating (don't use auto/auto) the speed/duplex settings on both the switch AND the NICs.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    other things to try

Can your ping 127.0.0.1???

reinstall\update the NIC driver

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    26 workstations + 6 Printers = 32

Is this the default No. of Leases the router is set up to offer ?

Check your router dhcp setting and ensure you have enough addresses to assign.

Regards,
    Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

From a cmd line run

ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew

If your error is no ip addresses bound...(something like that) or unable to renew run

ipconfig /all to ensure your nic is listed and all the settings are correct.

Make sure that there are not entries in the system or application logs referencing DHCP, hardware failure or DNS. (I've seen strange DNS errors listed because of bad nic's)

If the ipconfig /all settings are correct, do as SirDice says. Auto Negoiate doesn't work well with Nortel switches either.

edit: Oh yea, and what steve said, what's your private address range and subnet on the router? What's your DHCP Scope?
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Steve makes a very good point, what router(s) are you using, just having everything at the default value is not always the right thing to do!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Sorry it took so long to get back with you all.

I have tried releasing and renewing the ip address. Didn't work.

Last night I brought the computer home with me to test it on my home network, easily picked up an ip address.

I was able to ping loopback.

I have a Linksys 4 port DSL router. By default, the router was set to issue out 50 ip addresses. This morning, I stopped off at work on my way to school to drop off the computer and changed the 50 to 100. Also set the lease time to 0 days. Wasn't able to stay and test out my new settings though, had to jet off to class.

I don't think it's an issue with the NIC. We have two other computers on the network that have the exact same hardware as this one. Also, the drivers all the same on the NICS. All NICS are running full duplex

BTW, the router says it can handle a 253 ip addresses. This is a pretty cheapo router. Is this true? I mean, we have trouble with this router all the time. For some odd reason the LAN works and then the WAN doesn't or vica versa. I end up rebooting both the switch and router and then things work fine. Is there another limit that I'm unaware of?

Thanks a lot for the help,

warriorfan808

It sounds like a router that is more apt for home networking. I remember you posted a few weeks ago having probs with this router? Usually a restart of the router will sort out DHCP problems but make sure you have backed up your config first!

I take it you have this router then a switch and obviously all the hosts connect to the switch.

What is running your DHCP server, router or switch? You may not have a DHCP server on your switch but if you do it may be better to run it from that and not your router.

Failing that get a new router!
    //sorry just re-read your first post, you have two switches and a router! How are the set-up?

I have a feeling I know why you keep having probs, could you tell me in detail the set-up/connectivity of this network?

Thanks!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

AOs Resident Troll
    Also

Check if here is a firmware update that may fix DHCP issues.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

//physical
    Modem going into router
    router connected to 16 port switch through first port on built in 4 port switch on router.
    3 network printers are connected to the other 3 ports of the 4 port router
    1 wireless router connected to the 16 port switch
    1 24 port switch connected to the 16 port switch
    3 4 port hubs connected to the 16 port switch
    // end of physical

//configurations

4 port router scope 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199; 0 day lease on IP
    //all default on 4 port router
    wireless router scope 192.168.0.5 - 192.168.0.55; 0 day lease on IP
    //SSID no broadcast; WEP;

The most recent change I made was the size of the scope on the 4 port router. I haven't tested it yet.

BTW, is there any software that can benchmark a router?