Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New site about security?

Banned

Thumbs up New site about security?

I've read a bit about http://onguardonline.gov/index.html on some Dutch newssite. Apparantly a new website sponsored by the US government to educate the average computer user about computer security.

It could be interesting for some people although we experts know everything about this subject already.

Hi katja,

I think it's already been done.

Eg

Banned
    Well, according to the newssite where I read about it, this site is new. Otherwise, consider it an useful reminder.

Hi katja,

a new website sponsored by the US government to educate the average computer user about computer security.
    Errrr....AO is a website designed to educate the average computer user about computer security.

And if I'm not mistaken...in fact I've made threads about this myself...the last I read the US Government, Homeland Security, the FAA, the FBI, etc...have all received failing grades for their own security...why would I go to any site they would recommend?
    That would be kinda like getting dental recommendations from someone with no teeth.

Eg

Banned
    Or hair recommendations from a bald person...

Am not advising this page, actually. We're the experts so we know all this already. <edit>Smiley added as suggested by Aspman.</edit> It's just that it could be interesting for some. A good exercise in "finding the flaws". Then again, if the information on that site does contain good information, it will be a good site to advise to others. Question is, does it provide good information?

Btw, although AO is a good site for technicians to get lots of useful information, not everyone is as technically adept as the members here. I think AO is a bit too advanced for the average hobby-user or office-only user. There are still users out there who don't even know the difference between Internet Explorer and Outlook Express... (Or webbrowsing and email.)

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    We're the experts so we know all this already.
    Ooooh cringe. That needs a at the end I'm sure.

There are still users out there who don't even know the difference between Internet Explorer and Outlook Express... (Or webbrowsing and email.)
    Those are the better users. Not knowing the difference between a keyboard and a computer is one of the better ones I've heard of late. The usual is that they either don't know the difference between the monitor and the case or they call the case the hard drive.

There is a UK government IT advice site for home users. I think it is similarly awful.
    I can't find it quickly (shows you how good it must be), 2 of the government sites I did find in a few mins searching (from a gov portal) were down or had bad links. Nice one TB

Banned
    Originally posted here by Aspman
    Those are the better users. Not knowing the difference between a keyboard and a computer is one of the better ones I've heard of late. The usual is that they either don't know the difference between the monitor and the case or they call the case the hard drive.
    That reminds me of something. I have a PDA with TomTom routeplanner and a few weeks ago someone asked me if I knew how to get at some address. I said: "No, but I'll look it up for you." and turned on the GRPS receiver, the PDA, strted TomTom and typed in the address where he had to go. And then I could tell him exactly how to get there. We stood there talking for ten more minutes because he really wanted to know more about that little device of mine since he'd never even heard of them. When you're working for the IT branche it is very easy to forget that many people don't even know about 5% of all the things that are possible these days.
    And of course there are still people with a VCR with a blinking clock because they just don't know how to set the time properly. And many people who just buy a mobile phone because everyone else has one, yet don't even know how to use it to call someone.

We are experts because we at least know these things. There are many people who just use these devices because they have to but who aren't willing to learn more about them simply because they're not interested in this subject. Many people even consider computers to be very boring...

Btw, although AO is a good site for technicians to get lots of useful information, not everyone is as technically adept as the members here. I think AO is a bit too advanced for the average hobby-user or office-only user.
    Out of curiosity, I'd like to see you point out some stuff you think is to advanced. And I'd also like for you to attempt to point out what you think places you above average.

Banned
    Originally posted here by My SuperMan Ego
    Out of curiosity, I'd like to see you point out some stuff you think is to advanced. And I'd also like for you to attempt to point out what you think places you above average.
    It starts already on the homepage. If you're a complete newbie in the computer world and you're suddenly confronted with computers because e.g. your child gets one from school, a site like AO would be extremely complex for those people. Simple things like conference rooms, avatars, forums, bookmarks, buddy lists, antipoints, profiles and even the log in/log out options. If you're experienced with computers and a bit smart, it's easy to just discover what those things are. If you're a complete newbie with the average IQ of 100, those things can be pretty complex...

There are still quite a lot of people out there who know absolutely nothing about computers and who don't really want to know more about them either. But for whatever reason sooner or later they might have to work with those "horrible things". That's not easy, if you're new to it.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I think what My SuperMan Ego is maybe getting at it that it's 'bad form' to call yourself an expert.

It implies you rate yourself as 'better' than others and not just in IT.

It's a complement to be called an expert but arrogant to call yourself an expert.

It's a cultural thing and certainly true in the UK.

If anyone asks me if I'm a 'computer expert' I tend to say 'I know a bit'.
    I consider myself knowledgable in IT but not an expert.