Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus problem

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Antivirus problem

Let me tell you what im running first: Win XP pro 384 megs of ram p4 1.5 gigs. Anyway, I have an antivirus problem I think. On my pc I have symantec 8.0 corperate installed plus avast and bit defender. I dont run all those at the same time but I do run all of them. anyway when I run an antivirus I get a blue screen of death saying something about a page fault error or kernal error ( sorry I dont have the full error ) its about a page long! anyway at first I thought I was getting the error because my processor was overheating and causing that error ( I lost the green cover that goes over my heatsink to channell the hot air out ( I have a Dell Demision 4300) but that isnt the problem because I bought an exhaust fan and everything seems to work now and I only get the blue screen when I run antivirus. I also have adaware,spybot search and destroy. MS anti spyware beta and a few other anti spyware programs... when I run those everything is fine but, if I try and run an antivirus program I get the blue screen of death and have to restart to make it go away!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I'd remove one or many of the AV programs, then try running them singly. Is Symantec 8.0 running in the background all the time? I.E. does it launch by default as a service? Are you disabling that service when you try the others?

Stacking those applications could easily be the source of your problem, especially if any of them overwrite or modify .dll's that are shared. Yes, not the best practice, but it happens more often then I would have expected.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hi Tex~

Does he same thing happen if you boot into safe mode and try to run the Norton scan? Also, what firewall are you running?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    zencoder- symantec isnt running all the time. I have avast runnning all the time and no I havent disabled them when I do a scan so maybe they are cancelling each other out ( is that clear as mud? lol) Nihil- I havent tried running any of those in safe mode yet. its worth a shot.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

hiii texan

zen was right you need to install any one AV and disable their auto protect option of other.
    i would prefer Nortron(Symantrec) over Avast as:
    avast don't have option of Quaratine so your system files are at risk.

if that blue screen appears is for 2 to 3 sec,or much longer.it might be due to problem in your hard disk also, i countered similar problem on my pc

Yeah its true that antivirus post a big problem in our computers ,recently i als o got a spyware logged in my computer eventhough i had antispyware installed in my computer.and norton firewall did not detect it also .moreover use of norton makes the pc very slow. let me tell u i have p4 1.6 ghz 320 mb ram and win xp still it got slow.so i sugest that mcafee instead. i agree with shals that u would prefer norton to avast but not to mcafee its f
    The Great One[B][I][FONT=arial][COLOR=blue][SIZE=3]

... recently i als o got a spyware logged in my computer eventhough i had antispyware installed in my computer.and norton firewall did not detect it also...
    Hi techtrix, you have to have updated definitions for anti-spyware, AV, etc inorder to protect thy self from spyware or what so ever.

cheers!!

-:S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

To add to what :Singh: has just said, like anti-virus software your anti-spyware program needs to have ‘real-time’ protection and have it turned on to keep you from getting hit with adware/spyware. As examples: Adaware offers real time preotection in the ‘paid’ version (unless this has changed since the last time i checked). Spybot s&d has teatimer which is included in it’s free version but you have to choose the option to install it when you install spybot

Symantec and most other AV companies keep away from the legal entanglements that can arise when they place a spyware company’s product in their definitions of malicious software….candy asses
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

can they make a/v's smarter? sometime within my lifetime i hope, that be nice. to be in a world rid of spam email, viruses, etc. lets make this life last. =) well for the computer lifetime, no one is certain in the future if they will survive.

Is Windows Firewall on, this article from Symantec SymantecPDFInstructions

Does mention that all apps which use a "real time scan" should be removed or disabled, (Norton's way of saying buy only me).

What do you have set to startup each time you boot up the PC, sometimes when there are more then one app trying to initialize (make contact with their server) this could result in a mem spike, (check your processes in task manager when starting up to see who your resource hogs are) which could conflict, so what is happening is Symantec and Avast are both looking for definition updates.

IMHO I would uninstall both AV's and reinstall the one you want to keep, if it is for home use I would think using Symantec Corporate version 8.0 to be like trying to kill a fly with a jackhammer, and go with either AVG or Avast, either one with Microsoft Antispyware Beta is pretty much all you need, along with the dependables (Spybot S & D, Adaware SE, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard).

But if the reason you use Symantec is because it is work related then absolutely stick with that one, I use Trend Micro Internet 2005 Corporate liscense because of our employer's requirements when taking work home

Exactly which AV is it you run which causes the BSOD, if after uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't clear that up, check your drivers to see if they need updating.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson