Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two OS...?

two OS...?

i have two system in my Mac G5. TigerX OS and OS9. Why? because some of my softwares are cannot run properly in OS X especially in terms of printing. So I have to use OS 9.
    is there any way to avoid two systems in my G5 coz it's running to slow bcuz i have only 256RAM each in my Dual Processor...?

just asking

Banned
    I know that on Intel systems you can run something like VMWare that will create a virtual machine on your computer system. You then would have only one OS on your computer but at occasions you'd start the virtual machine to start the second OS from within the first one. It's like having two computers in one.
    I don't know if such a solution is what you are looking for. Neither do I know if such a solution even exists for the Mac G5.

Otherwise, the only suggestion I can come up with is that you'll have to upgrade the software that doesn't work within OS X to a version that does. Sorry.

thanks!

thanks for that... very good explanation... yes ur right ... only thing i can do is to
    upgrade the softwares.

one more thing... ur pretty huh!

Hey Hey,

Katja: Just an FYI, for Mac platforms, you can run VirtualPC for Mac (however this only allows you to run x86 based operating systems (Windows, Most Linux Distros, etc)

@r!3s: You have two operating systems, but are you sure they're both running at the same time... It's most likely that you have the option to select one or the other at boot, I dunno what you're doing, but if you're having printing problems with OS X, it sounds like it's some high end software (which form some reason, a lot of it runs better with OS 9 still... see Mac has problems very similar to MS problems)... Getting more RAM is definately the way to go, just remember that most of the time you don't have to go with the over-priced "Apple" RAM... you can usually buy generic over the shelf RAM... and to up it to 512 or even to 1024 shouldn't cost you too too much. If you've got a dual-processor G5, you should be able to afford it :P

Peace,
    HT

thanks HTRegz...
    since am always using Adobe Photoshop CS , Adobe Illustratror CS and Quark Xpress at the same time maybe that's why I feel it's running slow...?

my suggestion is that since you have 256 memory only, just use one application at a time then quit. then open again another application and quit. you dont have to open all your application if you're not using...! Since you are a graphic designer it is better for you to add big memory in your box.

Well,

am always using Adobe Photoshop CS , Adobe Illustratror CS and Quark Xpress at the same time maybe that's why I feel it's running slow...?
    Those are three heavy duty graphics/desktop publishing applications. You really do need more memory.

You might also check out your virtual memory settings. I seem to recall that it is now supposed to be dynamic with OS X? I am afraid my MAC knowledge stops at v8.1 I still think that it might be worth checking out...............like is it enabled?

EDIT: Which applications/versions are you having problems with? Are your printing problems with PostScript (Adobe)?

Nihil,
    It is Adobe Illustrator CS giving me problems in printing and YES problems with Postcript (Adobe).
    My printer is Xerox C45 and Epson Stylus Pro 7000.
    What I am doing is that I have to save as my work from Illustrator CS in eps format version 8.0 then open it again in Illustrator version 8.0 and that's the time I can print.
    The problem is I can't print the file directly in Illustrator CS...???

Hi,

Can you tell me the exact versions/patches you are running. I don't use the OS and software myself, but have friends who do and I keep hearing of problems. If you give me more details I can ask them about fixes.

This was one:

http://www.macmedics.com/tenthreefive.htm

As far as I know the Epson printer should be compatible, but I don't know about the Xerox...........I thought that was more of a "mopier"?

Mac G5 - TigerX OS
    Adobe Illustrator CS
    Xerox C45 network printer
    Epson Stylus Pro7000

The problem is that i cant print if am goin to use this Adobe Illustrator CS. I need to save
    as first the file into eps format version 8.0