Thread: web server access problem

web server access problem

we host several websites and recently, some outside clients have complained that they are not able to access our main webiste (www). They are able to access our other hosts (secure, projects, etc.) that have different IP's.

I thought it might just be a problem with them, that they weren't resolving the host, but they are indeed resolving the name fine and trying to go to the IP address results in a failure, they can't even ping it.

We use Checkpoint for our firewall and in the logs I can see that they are indeed being let through to the server. The server is running Apache 1.3 on Redhat 7.3, the servers are being routed through a Procurve 9308, any help as to how resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Just Another Geek
    Do the client requests show up in the apache access logs?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Nope.

Just Another Geek

Re: web server access problem

Originally posted here by switchoff
    We use Checkpoint for our firewall and in the logs I can see that they are indeed being let through to the server.
    If they get thought the firewall but they don't show up in the accesslogs of apache then there must be something wrong between the firewall and the apache server.

Maybe a routing problem? Are you able to sniff the traffic between the apache and the firewall?

Are you sure the checkpoint isn't dropping the traffic because of some other reason? As you may or may not know there are some implied rules (which don't show up in the regular logs, you'll need to switch it on to be able to see them) . Anti-spoofing? AI (application Intelligence)?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.