Hi all,

I'm an experienced programmer, but fairly new to web site design/development. I'm currently working on a data-driven web site and would like to give the client access to updating their own dynamic page content (such as news & events, inventory, etc.).

On a previous project I worked on we had a login/password section at the main portal, but it was for a secured intranet site. I'm not sure I want to follow this same approach for this public website since I only want the designated web administrator to have access to it (so why publish the login/password controls to the world).

Anyway, there are plenty of dynamic sites out there, so I'm sure there is some kind of standard approach to this...

By the way, I don't want to give the web admin direct access to the DB. Instead, I was thinking about providing a web interface to the dynamic content of the site.

For example, I was thinking about creating some ghost pages out there with a URL that only the web-admin would be aware of (though probably not the most secure way), or maybe putting an invisible link on one of the public pages that will re-direct the web admin to a login page and so on...

Is any of this common in the Web development world? If not, what are some common standards/approaches to this type of issue?

Greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Ed