Thread: question about power

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

question about power

My roomates and I are having a discussion about power usage. I want to know what uses more power: A flat screen LCD monitor turned on almost 24/7 or a regular closet light turned on almost 24/7 lol... ( im assuming is the regular american standard of 60 watts)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hey Hey,

You'd have to define a little more than that to do it accurately. Which LCD Monitor.. the Power consumption can vary... The Samsung 172x advertises a Max power consumption of 40W. You said you're using a 60W lightbulb... obviously the LCD uses less.... I've seen others that are listed in the low 50s. Check the back of the LCD in question, but most likely it'll be below 60 in which case it uses less power than the lightbulb. If the monitor goes into power saver mode, then you'll be using even less...

It's a fairly straightforward explanation, light bulbs are pretty high for power usage... that's why I love my 7W energy saver light bulbs that are just as bright as a 60W bulb

Peace,
    HT

I have an Envision EN7220 17' LCD and 45 Watts consumption
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hey Hey,

45W for your Monitor... 60W for your lightbulb.. it's no contest.. your monitor uses 3/4 of the power of the lightbulb..

Peac,e
    HT

ya i agree but, we have both agreed to turn both off at the same time so we save money. no monitor and no light= money saved lol thanx alot
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted