Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: does it take lot of time to be a computer genius

Well; I recognize Eric S. Raymond as a hacker.
    I don't recognize myself as a hacker.

Also, I didn't realize the Internet was a minor and redundant computer-related tasks.. But I will certainly tell you that if you are right, then e-mail is a minor and redundant computer-related task, as it was possibly one of the first hacks ever done. But, I'm sure you know all this and more.
    Why are you bitter? Been rooted before?
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

The people who helped build the technology we use today did not walk around tossing the H-word left and right. I'll take what Eric S. whatever has to say with a grain of salt and manure.

[cheap shot] And I'm sure they spoke a better english than you[/cheap shot]

Yeah, they didn't walk around tossing the "H-word", because it didn't exist in that sense back then. Here's your sign. Seriously, I know what you mean: you mean that (wait, no, you stated that explicitly) people who use the words are self-important posers and don't get anything done. *shrug* Fsck that. The only thing pulling me around the web is a desire to learn.

I only toss the word around when other people misuse the word 'hacker'. I don't know who you are; but I can tell you that I am a nobody. I have no creative skills, I haven't coded in forever, except for a small bash/awk script (and sed to format the source text files) that lets me post every day a new chapter of the Tao Te Ching to a community on livejournal last week. I don't particularly like saying 'hacker this and hacker that', but I do insist that people get it right, and if nobody corrects them, then they never will.
    And if I have to be hated because I say that every other post.. Maybe I'll just put it in my sig. *shrug*

[edit: and here's Eric S. Raymond's home page, so you can see what the man has done. And The cherry on top, the wikipedia page dedicated to him.]

The hacking culture started in the 60s... This was pretty much before computers. It was mainly used for nerds who figured out some really touch problem in a unique way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_ethic

Oh, and don't EVER talk **** on ESR again. He is one of the biggest and most influential names in the OSS market, and has done more for freedom in computing than you could ever possibly manage in your lifetime. He's right along the lines of Stallman and Linus.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Banned

to superman ego

i have seen many people who call themselveas computer genius and have a very rude behaviour towards newbies like me.but people like u really know stuffs from here and ther.there is no concrete knowledge with u people.and that sucks

Just Another Geek
    It's kind of hard to show you how much concrete knowledge I have.. I can only point you in the general direction, you'll have to walk the distance yourself. How else will you learn?

But if you have concrete and definite questions or problems with a certain aspect feel free to ask.

As I said in a PM to you, start with a good ol' 8bit computer. Learn the basics and learn them well. The latest and greatest 64bit computers aren't, in principle, that much different from the "old" 8bit ones.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

The Grunt: ah, yes, my bad! I always forget about the MIT "football game" hacks. I need to brush up on my history.

sandeshtrivedi : the path to "hackdom" is long and hard. You're never done learning, so I hope you like it that way

Not any one person or group of people are going to give up their knowledge. What people on AO do is give you information/ideas on where to go. This is part of the hacker culture. I'm not saying that people wont help you, they very much will help. You have to remember that there isn't the all inclusive post/book/website that covers how to be a hacker. As some would say becoming a hacker is not a skill to be learned, but an art to me mastered.

Welcome to AO.

Cheers

Dcrypter

You are 18 years old, make a post that seems like it comes from a 10 year old, add the My Super man ego comments and anyone should conclude that you are hopeless.
    Tech humor indeed .

I recognize Eric S. Raymond as a hacker.
    ESR is the most overrated guy on the net.

People suck. They all wanna be leet.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

No, actually, I think Kevin Mitnick is, due to all the media hype.
    And, to echo The Grunt's sentiments: don't diss ESR.
    Oh, and what's wrong with being 18 years old? You're right there with "Superman Ego", ignorant, proud of what you don't know, and ready to take on the world.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. You know just enough to think you know it all.