Thread: Icons/Zips/and Wallpapers

Icons/Zips/and Wallpapers

Hi,

Well I thought I'd throw out a couple of questions...save having to make two threads...

1. You know those zipped files and icons leftover ( eg. firefox 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc...) that stay on your machine even after you've already unzipped the file or downloaded the program...can you just throw them into the bin and delete...or do they still serve some purpose? I've probably got 20-30 of those things laying around in files and on my desktop.

2. How can you delete the wallpaper in desktop properties?...there's a bunch of crap in there I'd never use...and for some reason some of my artwork ended up in there...and there's one in particular ( soap bubbles I think ) that appears when I turn the computer on and I have no idea how it got there because the wallpaper I use ( snow trees...or...solar eclipse ) doesn't appear until after the desktop icons appear.

Thanks,

Eg

Windows 2000 Pro
    385MB Ram 80GB HD
    93% unused
    doesn't need defraged
    cache cleared
    everything updated yesterday
    firefox
    no bot according to Spybot
    no adware according to AdWareSE
    no viruses according to AVG Free
    just ran CrapCleaner today
    SpyWareBlaster updated

any other information?

Just Another Geek

Re: Icons/Zips/and Wallpapers

Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    1. You know those zipped files and icons leftover ( eg. firefox 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc...) that stay on your machine even after you've already unzipped the file or downloaded the program...can you just throw them into the bin and delete...or do they still serve some purpose? I've probably got 20-30 of those things laying around in files and on my desktop.
    The only purpose they have is filling up your harddrive. Just remove 'm.

2. How can you delete the wallpaper in desktop properties?...there's a bunch of crap in there I'd never use...and for some reason some of my artwork ended up in there...and there's one in particular ( soap bubbles I think ) that appears when I turn the computer on and I have no idea how it got there because the wallpaper I use ( snow trees...or...solar eclipse ) doesn't appear until after the desktop icons appear.
    It's probably set in HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi SirDice,

It's probably set in HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop
    Do I access that by...??? Sorry, when it comes to computers if I haven't done it before I have no idea where to look or how to proceed.

Eg

Start
    Run
    in the open field type regedit and press enter
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by Egaladeist
    Do I access that by...??? Sorry, when it comes to computers if I haven't done it before I have no idea where to look or how to proceed.
    Ah.. It's a registrykey.. Start->run... regedit.exe and navigate to that key.

Compare the keys with the ones in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop (if you're logged in you can find your desktop settings there).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi SirDice/dinowuff,

Do I then right-click-delete the entry?

I got into the control panel...desktop...and found that soap bubbles one ( have no idea where the rest are )...looked around and saw several mentions of screensavers but only three wallpapers...

the soap bubbles one says...REG_SZ.....C:/WINNT soap bubbles.bmp

Eg

Actually if you browse to C:\winnt\web\wallpaper

You will find most to the wallpaper jpg's Just delete those.

Also Make a backup of the registry key your deleteing prior to deleting.

Highlight the key you want to delete.

From the registry menu choose export.

Save the file to the root of C:

If you screw up your PC by mucking up the registry, boot into safe mode, navigate to the registry key you saved on C and double click the key. It will put it back in the registry. Reboot and all should be well.
    09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

just "find" that jpg file and then delete it.... all the jpg that you think it's not needed in your PC
    ... delete it...

hopes it will help....

...and there's one in particular ( soap bubbles I think ) that appears when I turn the computer on and I have no idea how it got there because the wallpaper I use ( snow trees...or...solar eclipse ) doesn't appear until after the desktop icons appear.
    Sounds like you or someone else has modified your startup splash screen. MS power toys ot Twickit will allow you to change it back or put something else in.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown