almost got my wifi card working in linux, wierd problem tho

Thread: almost got my wifi card working in linux, wierd problem tho

almost got my wifi card working in linux, wierd problem tho

I almost have my wifi working, but i still have one problem: i can connect to certain waps, but not others. so for example, i can connect to this one and use dhcpcd to get on the network, use the internet and everything(my neighbors said i could):
    Cell 03 - Address: 00:11:24:27:94:2B
    ESSID:"Apple Network 27942b"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
    Mode:Master
    Channel:10
    Encryption key: off
    Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
    Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
    Quality=50/100 Signal level=-71 dBm
    Extra: Last beacon: 1ms ago
    but i cant do anything on this one except connect:
    Cell 02 - Address: 00:0F:66:21:FE:1D
    ESSID:"linksys"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11b
    Mode:Master
    Channel:6
    Encryption key: off
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 11
    Quality=55/100 Signal level=-68 dBm
    if i try to run dhcpcd eth2 it just hangs for a long time. the only major differences i can see between these two waps are their protocol: the one i can connect to is using IEEE 802.11bg and the other uses IEEE 802.11b, bit rate: one is 11 mb/s, the other 54 mb/s(this shouldn't make a difference, should it?), and the one i can connect to has more extra rates.

i can use the linksys wap fine from windows on this laptop(i'm dual booting). anybody have any idea what might be wrong?

Hey Hey,

I had similar problems when I was running SuSE. I could "connect" to my linksys (b only) but I couldn't get an ip address through DHCP... I found though, that I could connect and assign an ip and give it a default gateway and then it would function just fine. I'm running Ubuntu on the laptop now and I have no problems getting online... What distro are you running? I'm wondering if it's a distro related problem.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

slackware 10.1, kernel 2.6.13.2. that sounds like exactly the same problem i have, i'd like to be able to use dhcp though, because its easier and sometimes i dont know the ip of my gateway and stuff when i use a public/neighbor's wap.

Out of curiosity...are you sure your connection is staying up ? That signal strength is pretty weak...

I am wanting to say I was having a similar problem in FC3 but it was because my card kept looking for a stronger signal (continually running iwconfig would show it disassociate to any) and I wound up having to hardset it using 'essid' and 'ap' with iwconfig...I am wanting to say that is what cleared it up...

EDIT:
    One other thing, I did a firmware/driver upgrade (ipw2200) at the same time and I am wanting to say that made a difference as well...sure your drivers/firmware are up to date ?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

yeah, i got the newest ipw2200 driver/firmware from ipw2200.sourceforge.net. i dont see my signal reverting back to any when i do iwconfig a bunch of times, so i don't think that's the problem. the signal is pretty weak though.

apparently ipw2200 has some bugs with dhcp. http://forum.ccux-linux.de/ftopic854.html
    For all ipw2200 users
    IPW2200 currently seems to have problems with receiving the IP-Address via DHCP. Therefore we need to specify a static IP-Address for our network-card. Edit your /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.ethX (replace the ethX with your wireless card device).
    this is the first i've heard of it, i dont even see anything about this out on ipw2200.sf.net . i really dont like the static ip work around cuz i need to use foreign networks... guess i'll file a bug report or something