Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft confirms next XP service pack

Microsoft confirms next XP service pack

Microsoft has revealed plans to release a third service pack for its Windows XP operating system.

"There will be a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP," Bernard Ourghanlian, technical and security director at Microsoft France, confirmed, revealing that Microsoft's OS is set for another major update.

Windows XP's Service Pack 2, which came out last September, deeply modified the operating system by updating its security.

Windows XP SP3 will be available sometime next year--after the launch of Windows Vista, which "is the priority for the development teams," according to Microsoft France.

Microsoft has yet to reveal details about the contents of the service pack. Laurent Delaporte of Microsoft France said: "Historically, certain functions of new versions of Windows are integrated in the service packs of previous versions."
    http://news.com.com/Microsoft%20conf...6274&subj=news
    Microsoft confirms next XP service pack | CNET News.com

..., nice,,,

Windows Vista is down, so them contionues to develop XP to the end.......never end......

I hope that this SP3 will not do more problem then SP2 and that it is smaller in size hehe
    // too far away outside of limit

so them contionues to develop XP to the end
    Well that's not new, it's pretty common practice for Microsoft to add SP's on their products even so they are introducing a new one. (NT, 2000, 2003, etc...) Not every one will jump on the Vista wagon right away ($$$), and XP will still need some work.

...according to Microsoft France...Microsoft France said...
    o~O

Now that's a combo

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Have they stopped developing service packs for win2k? They should fully test service pack 3 before releasing it to ensure there are not as many problems as service pack 2. I work at a shop and the main problem i found is doing a re-installation of windows which has service pack 2 integrated on a machine that has windows xp with no service packs or service pack 1, the problem was that you could not set up a dail up connection because remote services were corrupt or somthing and service pack 2 had to be re-installed to rectify the problem. I also found that the service pack 2 firewall conflicted with other firewall software in some cases
    \"All men by nature desire knowledge\" - Aristotle

They should fully test service pack 3 before releasing it...
    It would be nice to have a clean install the first time, but that's what you and I are for.... Well let's not be too hard on them. Bet they really do try hard, however, after all they probably use about a million lines of code! Bound to be some issues.

I also found that the service pack 2 firewall conflicted with other firewall software in some cases
    That could be a problem with any combination of firewalls of the same generation. They're both trying to do the same thing at the same time

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I thought this bit was interesting:

"Historically, certain functions of new versions of Windows are integrated in the service packs of previous versions."
    I take that to mean we will be getting some vista modules included?

what about microsoft integrating some sort of antivirus into service pack 3? what are your thoughts on that?
    \"All men by nature desire knowledge\" - Aristotle

Hi jeff

Is this what you are thinking of:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5797074.html

Actually, MS used to provide an antivirus product, as did IBM. They both dropped out of the scene in the early nineties. I bet they both regret that decision, given the amount of money the sector has generated since?

Regal Making Handler
    Microsoft alread have an AV tool,

from here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

Microsoft releases an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month, and as needed to respond to security incidents. You can run the tool from this Web page anytime or download it to your computer.
    I'm not sure on the anti-trust situation if they were to incorporate it in thier OS though.

As for the service pack for XP, i'm pretty sure that if Vista was to be the OS that microsoft wanted there would not be a service pack. As it is Vista has along way to go before microsoft can abandon XP.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Ahhh a new Service Pack how nice. Ill be waiting another year after its release. You know how it is with these things. Theres cutting edge, then theres bleeding edge.
    meh. -ech0.