Live Update for Antivirus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Update for Antivirus

Live Update for Antivirus

My live update for Norton Antivirus wont update.. It constantly freezed. It hasnt updated for about 2 months. Does anybody know what I could do to make it work? Thanx

Hi jst2charmed and welcome to AO................

We will need to know the version of your NAV and your last update number. Also what operating system and SP.

Try updating Windows first

Have you tried the Intelligent Updater option? You may have a bad definition file.

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi jst2charmed and welcome to AO................

We will need to know the version of your NAV and your last update number. Also what operating system and SP.

Try updating Windows first
    yea umm.. im not exactly computer friendly so.. it says that i have norton antivirus 2000. i dont know what "last update number" is. im using windows 98. and i dont know what "SP" is. sorry

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    SP stands for service pack... do you know if you are using win 98' or windows 98 Second edition? since your not on XP i dont know if you even have service packs... ur update number will be whenever u last updated ur antivirus, the date on that. ( i think)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    SP stands for service pack... do you know if you are using win 98' or windows 98 Second edition? since your not on XP i dont know if you even have service packs... ur update number will be whenever u last updated ur antivirus, the date on that. ( i think)
    i believe its windows 98. not second edition. i havent done the live update in about 3 months. i scanned my computer for viruses on friday. i hope that helps

Originally posted here by jst2charmed
    i havent done the live update in about 3 months.
    i meant 2 months

Hi jst2charmed ,

I am surprised that it has lasted this long, if it has actually been updating. It is 5 years' old

Open your Norton, at the top of the screen select "help" then "about" from the next menu...........that should tell you some numbers about version and the number of your virus definitions/signatures file.

I would say that the time has come to either buy a new version of an AV, or download one of the free ones such as Avast or AVG.

The problem is that although the patterns/definitions/signatures might still be OK, your scanning engine (the program that does the detection) will be well out of date and will NOT detect current threats.

To find your version of windows, please click:

<start> (bottom left of your screen)
    <settings>
    <control panel>

And the information will be on the screen that pops up...........probably a number under "system"

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi jst2charmed ,

I am surprised that it has lasted this long, if it has actually been updating. It is 5 years' old

Open your Norton, at the top of the screen select "help" then "about" from the next menu...........that should tell you some numbers about version and the number of your virus definitions/signatures file.

I would say that the time has come to either buy a new version of an AV, or download one of the free ones such as Avast or AVG.

The problem is that although the patterns/definitions/signatures might still be OK, your scanning engine (the program that does the detection) will be well out of date and will NOT detect current threats.

To find your version of windows, please click:

<start> (bottom left of your screen)
    <settings>
    <control panel>

And the information will be on the screen that pops up...........probably a number under "system"

ok umm.. for the norton thing.. the numbers i saw was the serial number: Serial #: 152-5703-412-2288

then for my system properties.. its actually windows 98 second edition.. then it says 4.10.2222 A

Old Fart
    ok...plainspeak here...you have to pay for Norton to give you updates after the first 2 or 3 months. No pay, no play.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 will get you to a free version of AVG which gives free updates.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...