Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install win98 uninstall xp pro?

install win98 uninstall xp pro?

hi
    thnks for a quick response as usual
    i have xp pro installed and i dont want to have dual boot system.
    i want to uninstall xp pro and install win 98.
    how do i do it?
    reformat hard drive?
    use system disk 98 and boot from cd win 98 and then f/disk and reformat hard disk?
    ( i tried this and when pc comes to boot from cd it display message: failure and keep going to boot my xp pro.)
    what is right direction?
    thnks

Hi unvi$ible

Boot from a Win98 floppy and run the setup program from the CD. First thing is to reformat the hard drive though! the program is on the Win98 floppy. You should be prompted at boot and if you get a warning, just overrule it (hah!........true power at last!)

Remember to go to your STARTUP (BIOS) menu first and set the boot sequence to FLOPPY/CD/HDD in that order

Otherwise attach the HDD as "slave" to another machine and wipe/reformat the HDD there.........remember the "jumper" and to put it back to "master" or "cable select"

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    just a quick one :

WHY are you removing XP to install W98 ???
    is there a specific reason ?
    or is it just because you 'like' W98 ?

so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Old Fart
    Asking this question makes as much sense as telling your dentist to pull all of your permanent teeth and put your baby teeth back in.

Boot from a Win98 disk and fdisk (you probably have NTFS partition so have fun), restart, format, restart and install Win98. Tell the cavemen you see along the way that we all said "Hi".
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

hi

thnks for a quick answers,

well i forgot to add last sentence which would be is this smart move? to go from xp to win98.
    well the reason is i want to set up this pc for a games only- nothing else and i believe(maybe wrong) with same hardware on it, it will be little bit faster then xp.
    (win98 use less resourses then xp).
    Pls correct me if i am wrong and if this move is worth it.
    (have a spare pc with windows 98se disk and i was thinking to do it for a 7 yrs old son (but shhhhhh it will be actually me who plays there)
    My only concern with this move is i can not set limited user on win 98 as on xp pro and 7 yrs old one is clicking delete button like is no tommorow.(((
    its became permanent part time keeping up 2 sons computers uhhhhh

Many a time a box has had to be set up to dual boot Win98/WinXP because of compatability issues or DOS issues. whatever..

But I can respect as to why the need/desire to remove WinXp.
    Issues I see are driver related only outside that for a "dedicated" purpose no great problem.
    you may have an issue with Fdisk on the 98 disk.. it may have a problem with removing the NTFS formatted partitions (assuming they are NTFS formatted) you may need do the partinoning with the XP CD to allow the Win98 install to recognise the partition..

go for it.. knock yourself out with te install

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi unvi$ible

What are the hardware specifications of your spare machine?

As Und3ertak3r has implied, this is not as clear cut a decision as some may think. Win98SE works well on lower specification machines. On higher end machines XP will probably perform better, at least it benchmarks that way.

If you want the security/control without the same degree of "overhead" that XP has, then you might even consider Win2000, although, like XP its DOS support is rather limited.

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    just a quick one :

WHY are you removing XP to install W98 ???
    is there a specific reason ?
    or is it just because you 'like' W98 ?

even me i'd prefer to use Windows 98 than XP... why? because Windows 98 is compatible in terms of printing, spooling, some graphic softwares and specially to our Imagesetter.
    Before am using XP but it's giving me headache...

IMHO I think its a bad idea, I don't like XP at all but am being forced into it, just like I was forced into the other Microsoft distros. Main reason is that 98 is no longer supported by MS, next is no body is developing anything with 98 as its core OS, next is security and the abilities for customization that Win2k and XP have. My main reason for not liking XP is that right out of the box it assumes you are an idiot unable to comprehend using a computer, and after just a short time I get real tired having to contact a non-existant Systems Administrator.

Just my 2cents
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

ty for your answers,
    i tought it will be quite hard to do it because of ntfs files and because i already tried and was getting message failure from cd and was going nowhere
    ok it is just for games only so which linux you recomend- as i said games only nothing else with it just gaming
    \
    thnks