Thread: Need a router.

Need a router.

Hey I was wondering if any of you out there have Verizon Online for your DSL service. And what routers you guy's use. I have gone threw a couple and I keep having differen't problems. Not enought signal strength on D-Link and I keep getting disconnected on Linksys routers. Any suggestions. Thanks.

My suggestion -- go wireless.. Find out from the ISP (in your case Verizon) what's needed to setup a service on it to maintain your DSL connection.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Did you configure the Linksys correctly? They seem to ship with defaults
    for cable. You may have to enable some "login" or "keep alive" function
    to work right with your provider.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AOs Resident Troll
    I have found with Dlinks and multiple computers...to lower the MTU setting to something like 1392...default is 1492.

It stops the disconnects and having to reset...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Re: Need a router.

Originally posted here by nexalink
    Hey I was wondering if any of you out there have Verizon Online for your DSL service. And what routers you guy's use. I have gone threw a couple and I keep having differen't problems. Not enought signal strength on D-Link and I keep getting disconnected on Linksys routers. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    Hey Hey,

When you say signal strength do you mean a wireless signal from the router to a wireless computer, or the technicians @ 1-800-567-6789 told you the signal was low? They are two different things?

If your wireless signal is low, that's because you have interferance (perhaps others around you are using wireless and are on the same channel or you have cordless phones in the house... With my Linksys on Channel 6 if I pick up my cordless phone everyone on wireless get's disconnected). Perhaps you're too far away and your walls are thick and limiting the signal, a lot of high frequency devices in the area?

If It's a low DSL signal coming in, that's between your modem and their DSLAM... If that's the case, which modem do you have. Also are you a VOL East or West customer? (Simply because you could be either PPPoE or DHCP and if you're DHCP then you'd want the linksys setup as if it was cable you were using).

Some things to check if it's low DSL signal
    Are you using the phone cable they sent you? It's round instead of flat and 14ft.. which is the max length they support.
    Did you filter every phone line, including a satelite dish and alarm system (For an alarm you'll need a special filter you can contact the security company about).
    Have you tried power cycling the modem...

Out of curiosity (along with the type of modem) which lights are displayed on it?

Also when you say you get disconnected do you mean that your wireless signal disconnects (I'm still assuming wireless) or that your DSL drops the connection.

If you can answer these, I've got a whole slew of places to go from here...

You may be telling your router to use pppoe, but you may have a modem that uses pppoe and dials for you...so that's why knowing the modem and light status is crucial.

It sounds like your best bet may be to contact customer support/tech support (although they can't specify a specific modem usually) and ask them to RA your modem and send you out a Westell Versalink 327w... It's a combo Wireless Router/Modem and is quite easy to work with.

I look forward to your responses,

Peace
    HT

PS: Anyone wanna guess who's call center I worked at until I had the nervous breakdown from fear of dealing with Americans on the phone?