Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need hardware expert...

Banned

Need hardware expert...

Hello Guys. I have a problem w/ my friend's PC. She's got this old Pavillion and it uses a Conexant modem/Riptide sound card combo. The modem doesn't have its own speaker and when it dials out you hear it through the sound card/speakers. The problem is that you also hear "line noise" after you've connected already. It is basically impossible to play any music because of the annoying noise. Any help ... pls. I don't want to tell her she has to buy modem/soundcard separately.

Just Another Geek
    Do you mean interference or do you actually hear the modem beeping/screeching after it connects?

If the last try ATM1 in the modem initialisation string...

http://lisa1.lisa.univ-paris12.fr/Electronik/Hayes.htm
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sorry, all the hardware experts are at lunch

Try going into control panel, phone and modem options, and turn the speaker volume slider to "off"

It sounds as if the combo card is on it's way out.....................they never were that reliable in my experience. I had a Packard Bell one that's sound died and all I had to do was install a cheap sound card

Good luck!

hi unhappy,
    it look like she is very nice girl so why you dont spend 20 dollars and suprise her(cheap internal modem and seperate sound card) and you will both be very happy

hi unhappy,
    it look like she is very nice girl so why you dont spend 20 dollars and suprise her(cheap internal modem and seperate sound card) and you will both be very happy

hi unhappy,

Banned
    you can hear the modem dialing and screeching as if through regular modem speaker. but the problem is that after the dialing out part is finish it's still makes ....chchchchchchchchhchchc line noise

nihil .... I have "turned off the modem speaker" in modem properties as well as "disable modem speaker" in dial-up properties

Banned
    Sir Dice ... what is the exact syntax of "M0" command I have to put in the string of the modem extra commands

is it just "M0"
    or "AT&M0"

or what

Just Another Geek
    It should be 'ATM0'. All Hayes commands start with AT. Which is short for ATtention.
    IIRC turning off the modem speaker in the modem properties actually sends the ATM0 command to the modem.. But it doesn't hurt to put it into the modem initialization string..

Mine usually contains something like 'ATZ' and 'ATM1'. ATZ resets the modem (to the default settings) and ATM1 turns off the speaker after it connects (so I can hear if the line is busy or not).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Or you could really surprise her and get her a NIC for her birthday so she can forget about dial up and go cable or dsl ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools