Thread: Shutdown Problems

Question Shutdown Problems

I have a computer that won't shutdown when I shutdown in Windows. When I go to the start menu > shutdown > shutdown, the computer acts like it restarts instead of shutting down. Is this a power supply problem? Or could it be a Windows problem? Power switch? I am having to "shutdown" and wait for Windows to shutdown, then flip the main switch on the back of the tower before it tries to boot back up... really annoying.

BlackHatHunter

Hi BlackHatHunter

Is the machine running Windows 98 or ME? by any chance

Ooops! Forgot to say... It is a Windows XP SP2 machine.

OK mate, thanks for the feedback, you have narrowed it down ................that problem was classic Win98/ME and an OS problem.

It sounds to me as if you have "restart on error" enabled (probably in your BIOS?) and that you are getting a shutdown error (which it doesn't tell you about) that triggers this setting. Please turn it off and see if that helps (it will not remove the problem, just narrow it down a bit) )

The boxes with a power down button at the front and a switch at the back may be in some sort of standby mode perhaps? You might test that by seeing if you can shut it down using the front button (not the OS or the back switch) You may have to hold it in for a few seconds if it has child/pet protection features

I would also go into your BIOS and WinXP and switch off all power saving options...........have the machine "always on".............I know of issues there with XP and especially SP2.

When did this start?

I've been working here for 10 months and it's been doing it as long as I've been here.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Have you tried thge adjustments that I suggested?

1. reboot on error
    2. power saving
    3. ability so manually shutdown from the front button

Not yet, I was going to try to get as many suggestions a I could before tomorrow. I will not be able to get to the computer until tomorrow morning, then I will try everyone's suggestions.

Anybody else?

Thanks

I think it's corrupt software.

Try this:
    Code:
    shutdown -s -t 5 -c "Bitch shutdown now!"

Or

Code:
     shutdown -s -t 0