Thread: Router Question

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Router Question

Hi, My friend has a compaq presario V2000 laptop with a broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN. wireless card she is running XP. Ok her family has Verison online DSL and a fujitsu speedport modem for the DSL. to get her laptop internet access she has to have some kind of wireless router to bounce signal from the dsl modem to her laptop right? and i got my linksys router of ebay would you suggest the same for her? are things different because she is using a laptop and i have a desktop?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

There is no real differance using a laptop or desktop to connect to a wireless router. If anything it should be easier to connect the laptop than a desktop as they normally have the wireless integrated nowdays. The only differance you may have would be in the interface use to configure you wireless card. no thing more than different manufacurer different software. I also have a linksys and I had no problem connecting both my desktop and my laptop to the internet through it. It is was out the box and my computers were connected in about five minutes.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

So, once she gets a wireless router she should have no prob connecting her laptop to the net right?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

She shouldn't. I have an old sony viao that i connect throught a first generation pcmcia wirless card as it doesnt have wireless integrated and i had no problem connecting to my linksys router.
    edit : One way to make sure is to get her to bring her laptop over to your place, if she can, to check the connection....
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

On a side note I would recommend Linksys over Dlink or Netgear or any other. No offence to any other respectable wireless hardware manufacturer lovers. I just personaly hate them all....and Linksys is owned by Cisco now
    meh. -ech0.

yes I have a linksys router and have had no problems with it. thanx alot for the advice
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted