Problem with WinXP and Internet connection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with WinXP and Internet connection

Problem with WinXP and Internet connection

Hi everyone. I can't connect to Internet!!. I install a program (Warez p2p) and then uninstall it, because I didn't feel secure with it. Then I restart my PC, and then I see my conection have problem I hit the repair button and it says that he cant find the IP, but he don't even try it!. And my Internet connection is alright because I have Debian and I can connect with it (im writing the message in Debian), so please help.

P.D.: I know you will say: "If this guy has Debian he should have the knowledge to troubleshoot this", but no, I'm Newbie, so please help!

Also my WinXP has SP2 and my ethernet card is integrated with the ASRock P4VM8 motherboard

"P.D.: I know you will say: "If this guy has Debian he should have the knowledge to troubleshoot this" ------------------- Why?"

OK, we may need a bit more info, what happens when you try to connect to the internet? Do you get any error messages or does it just 404? Are you using dial up/broardband/cable or going through a router? Wireless or not?

If you have ISP software have you tried re-installing that?

Do you have anything in your network connections?

Have you looked at your internet optons to see if there is a connection there at all?

Do you still get the connection montors in your sys tray(by your clock)?

Try and answer as many of these as you can, the more info the easier it is to narrow the problem down.

I suspect that the p2p software you uninstalled has deleted your internet connection.
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

what happens when you try to connect to the internet? Do you get any error messages or does it just 404?

- It gives me the error that it can't connect to www.example.com

Are you using dial up/broardband/cable or going through a router? Wireless or not?

- Is not wireless. I'm using a DSL connection.

If you have ISP software have you tried re-installing that?

-I don't have or/and need ISP software for this connection.

Do you have anything in your network connections?

-If you mean, if I have another computer or other equipment attached to the network, no I don't have.

Have you looked at your internet optons to see if there is a connection there at all?

-What do you mean with this?

Do you still get the connection montors in your sys tray(by your clock)?

-Yes, with the caution signal (the yellow one with a "!")

Hope this will help you help me :P.

Another question: How can you make the quote thing? I mean, quote: "something someone wrote". Thanks in advance.

OK, have you looked in your device manager to see if your "Network Adaptors" are configured properly?

The yellow ! usually means a fault - no drivers etc, you may get lucky and find it has just been disabled, if so just enable it.

Whilst you are in your control pannel goto internet options and click the connections tab, then goto LAN setting and check the Auto detect settings if it is not checked already.

Let us know how this goes!

// If you look next to all the purple buttons at the end next to quote is a check box just tickthis and then click on post reply at the bottom of the screen.

Or

just put ["quote"] [/"quote] at the start and end of the text respectivley but without the " marks!

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Well, I check all of that. The connection is enabled and I mark auto-detect in LAN settings, but nothing. Here is my theory: When I install the Warez p2p it install another program for connection compatibility with SP2, I think maybe it overwrite some files and when I uninstall it, it delete my drivers or whatever it support the connection.

Did you check your device manager? If any drivers have been uninstaled it would say so there. Try your system info and look under problem devices too, you usually get a better explanation of a fault there than in device manager.

Can you ping anywhere first try "ping 127.0.0.1" if that is ok try something like "ping 216.239.59.104" see if it is able to do that?

Have you thought about going back to an earlier restore point or last known good configuration, a restore point either before you installed or before you uninstalled the program, might be worth the effort.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson