Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Power Switch

Broken Power Switch

The switch on my case broke, but this system does not have a button to boot it up on the board. Is there a way to build a switch with the broken PWR S/W cable until I get a new case?

Hi Info Tech Geek

Take it to your local TV repair shop..................they are cheaper than IT shops.

In theory you just "hotwire" the case to the permanently on state, like bypass the switch on the box and use the one on the wall socket?

Hey, don't try it yourself unless you REALLY know what you are doing.............you could seriously damage the box, and even worse, YOURSELF

BE SAFE!

(That is your Union Rep talkin here boy..)

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hi Info Tech Geek

Take it to your local TV repair shop..................they are cheaper than IT shops.

In theory you just "hotwire" the case to the permanently on state, like bypass the switch on the box and use the one on the wall socket?

Hey, don't try it yourself unless you REALLY know what you are doing.............you could seriously damage the box, and even worse, YOURSELF

BE SAFE!

(That is your Union Rep talkin here boy..)

I was considering hot boxing it, but I wasn't sure if it would blow the board. Here is a pick of the pieces.

Hi ITG, I did this experiment on my friend's pc as he had the similar problem. I removed the switch and took the wire out ( one which powers the pc). Removed it black(usally) covering. Made the both ends naked .

Now everytime he want to start the computer he just short-circuits the wires for a while and seprates them away and the computer starts. Regarding shutting down, since it was an ATX case, it's done with the os.

Use this at your own risk( if you want to ). This is the cheapest solution but could be the costliest if damage your MoBo.

Cheers !!

- :S:
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

Those are coming out of the PSU?

If the wires are the box side of the power supply you are now dealing with DC not AC.............those wires would have to be "internal" over here, because we use 240vAC as our mains supply.

Some of the older boxes I have use a "mains switch" at the back............a bit like the wall socket?.........that controls the 240v supply to the PSU.....................there is an I/O switch at the front.

Internally you are safe to hotwire...................it is really no different from leaving the box on all the time?

Re: Broken Power Switch

Originally posted here by Info Tech Geek
    The switch on my case broke, but this system does not have a button to boot it up on the board. Is there a way to build a switch with the broken PWR S/W cable until I get a new case?
    I broke one just like that one you have. I moved the two wires too quick, they heated up and then broke. You can re-solder them back on. Or you could buy a rocker switch or another spring loaded one and solder it back to the two wires. Or you could just buy one for under $3 online. It's an easy repair. Maybe scavenge the rest button to take its place for a quick fix. I believe all it does is make the loop for a second, so you could scrape the two wire tips together until you see a spark like hotwiring a car.

Re: Re: Broken Power Switch

Originally posted here by !mitationRust
    you could just buy one
    Do you have a link? I would just rather buy one or I'll end up getting a new case. For tonight, I just hooked it to the switch of my other computer, booted it and removed the wire and then booted my other system.

Found it... Keyword: ATX CASE POWER SWITCH

Site:http://www.pccables.com/

ResellerRating: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1393.html

BizRate: http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...,prerd--1.html

www.BBB.org : The section you run the site through is down right now, run it through before you buy from that joint.

Cable or find something similar: http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...01&rsite=03201

I checked all my vendors out, they didn't have anything. I'll keep an eye out because I'm curious where to buy one too.

If you can find which of the pins the power button connect to, just touch a screwdriver across them to boot the computer up in a pinch. They are nearly always adjacent pins. I did this all the time when testing hardware at a repair shop - the boards we used for testing were almost never actually inside a case.

<insert standard be careful, at-your-own-risk warning here>
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

All the power switch does anyways is close the circuit / short the two wires. It is known as a Momentary Switch.

Striek's tip on the screwdriver technique works. I usually use dimes/pennies/quarters or spare change to start my PC. I could probably build a coin slot and charge people money to turn my PC on...but I likely wouldn't get much money out of it

Unfortunately you get raped buying such a small part...over here they sell for $5-$7. I don't see how the switches could cost more than $0.45 to make...

Edit: The more I think of it, the more I want a coin slot on my computer. My next mod, if I ever get around to another one, will feature a coin slot and change box. Hrm...