FTC targets N.H. spyware operation

Thread: FTC targets N.H. spyware operation

FTC targets N.H. spyware operation

The company allegedly steers Internet users to fake search engines

U.S. regulators asked a court today to shut down a maker of computer spyware that allegedly steers Internet users to fake search engines and tracks their movements online.
    Odysseus Marketing Inc. of New Hampshire says its free Kazanon software allows users to share music anonymously over peer-to-peer networks to avoid prosecution from the recording industry. But the software doesn't work as advertised, and the company's work should be halted, the Federal Trade Commission said in a complaint filed with a U.S. court in New Hampshire.

The FTC said the software serves as a Trojan horse for other, unwanted programs that deliver pop-up ads and track the user's online movements.

Those infected with Odysseus' spyware have their search results corrupted as well, the FTC said. When they try to use a search engine like Yahoo or Google, they are steered to a look-alike page that prominently lists Odysseus clients in the results. And those who use an Odysseus software tool to remove the spyware only draw more unwanted programs onto their computers, the agency said.

Odysseus principal Walter Rines was not immediately available for comment.

The U.S. House of Representatives voted in May to stiffen jail sentences and establish multimillion-dollar fines for spyware purveyors. Similar legislation has been introduced in the Senate.

Source
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Great going, would this be enough ?

No indeed, this should be followed by further steps and real-life punshments and examples, in order for others to believe ....

a thousand-mile journey starts with a step .... many steps have been taken already ....

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf

Banned
    Just goes to show ya, there ain't no free lunch.

a thousand-mile journey starts with a step
    Yeah, BC, but Odysseus took ten years after the fall of Troy to make it home, a distance of about 200 miles. Odd how that works out?

The toll has been paid already ....