Thread: Can't get daughter through mother go after daughter

Can't get daughter through mother go after daughter

This may not be the right forum but it's close enough...heck, someone has to post here

Having already failed once to nail Brittany Chan through her mother, Candy, the Big Music cartel is now going after Britanny again, this time by herself.

She was 13 when this all started, but she's now 14 and in their latest move, the Big Four are using Matthew E. Krichbaum of Ann Arbour to demand that the US District Court of the Eastern District of Michigan appoint a Guardian ad Litem, in other words, an official legal guardian ---- which she'll definitely need with the venal and unscrupulous labels trying to get her.

“Plaintiffs [read EMI, Warner, Universal and Sony BMG, the members of the Big Music record label cartel] initial investigation revealed that a computer in the Chan home was used to download (reproduce) and offer 829 digital music files for distribution," says the complaint. "Plaintiffs initially filed an action against Brittany Chan’s mother, Candy Chan.
    http://p2pnet.net/story/6485
    p2pnet.net - the original daily p2p and digital media news site

any takers on this action?

Eg

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Why would they sue her? how much money do the actually think they will get from someone who isnt old enough to drive much less hold a job! all this is pure stupidity... no matter how many people they sue, it wont stop the pirating.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Well this article if it gets enough "Airplay" should make the suits sweat.The Air Stupid!!!
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

They (the RIAA) can sue 'till there white in the face, but it's not going to stop illegal downloading. They will never get it... It only makes the RIAA and MPAA look like asses when they sue 13-year old kids.
    What can this lawsuit possibly accomplish ? Is it trying to get parents to pay a little more attention to kid's internet usage ? (that is another societal problem I'm not even going to TRY and address)

What in god's name can they accomplish, besides making little girls and boys cry ?

The problem of illegal downloading is not going to be solved by suing the bejezuz out of everyone. Copy protection schemes are cracked the first week they come out. The suits need to think a little bigger than suing/CPS... Hell, the suits probably can't solve this one. This is a societal issue anymore.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

This is the same thing said over and over again.

When I was in High School, I would buy a Tape or CD that I wanted. My friends would do the same and we would make mix tapes or copies of tapes for eachother. Most friends I know do this for eachother. The only difference is P2P allows large groups of people to do this.

Maybe they should try lowering the price of CDs again and see what happens. Release a CD at $5.00 - $8.00 and see how many more people buy rather than pirate.

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    Might it just be that the RIAA uses the methode of Woman and Children first ??

via /. http://p2pnet.net/story/6485
    “Notwithstanding that her own testimony implicated her daughter, Candy Chan refused to take responsibility for her daughter and forced Plaintiffs to file this action directly against Brittany Chan even after they informed her that she had left them with no alternative.”
    Yup that evil woman forced the poor RIAA to pick on a 14 year old (13 at the time of the aleged infringements).
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I have mixed feelings regarding this...as an artist who has had stuff stolen by others I can see how piracy has ethical/criminal consequences...the right to profit from ones OWN work must supercede the right of others to profit from work that is NOT their own...

ontheotherhand...

piracy is a reflection of consumer equity...every time consumers feel they are being unjustly gouged piracy is increased...
    example : here in Canada we have a major piracy/smuggling ring concerning cigarettes...everytime the government raises the price of cigarettes that ring gets larger...and everytime they lower the price there is a dramatic drop in that ring...
    so...what Info Tech geek said has a ring of truth to it...that a percentage of piracy is based in what the consumer sees as a fair price...

exceptions always apply...some piracy is just criminal period...but a percentage of piracy is consumer disapproval with what they see as unfair pricing...

just a thought...

Eg

here in Canada we have a major piracy/smuggling ring concerning cigarettes...everytime the government raises the price of cigarettes that ring gets larger...and everytime they lower the price there is a dramatic drop in that ring...
    Don't forget to mention the huuuuge underground "I won't pay the GST(Goods and Services Tax) house construction business", half the National Debt could be paid off from the revenue lost to this segment.

I think overall, it is like a reflection of society's way of quietly rebelling, I mean it's almost a tradition to cheat the Taxman, and for the rank and file, serf, peons,peasants, watching the likes of the Bronfmans and et al, always move their dough offshore to avoid their fair share of taxes, then why not.

Unfortunatley it's usually the little guy who gets reamed by IRS or Customs and Excise Canada, they never seem to go after the bigger fish. So watching the RIAA do their thing is no big surprise, the bigger the net the more they can reel in.(but you won't see them go after China,or Russia where a lot of the pirating is going on).
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Hey Hey,

I think someone should do some research and find a way that the RIAA/MPAA found guilting of a crime that's punishable by death... Then send all their members that way.. Presidents, Secretaries, IT Guys, Recording Artists, Actors, everyone associated with them... or just have a big line with an Arrow that says, throw eggs at the pirates this way and the line can go into the an execution chamber. They sit in the chair, we had them an egg and jab them with a needle filled with liquid death... pull them out the otherside and bring in the next person.

People have been making tapes for years and it was never a big deal in the past.. they don't realize that they aren't losing money, if anything they're making money.

People download music that have otherwise never listened to and like it, so they go to a concert, buy a band hoodie and pick up the next album that comes out. More money than if the person had just ignored them because he didn't know who they were.

How about movies. People that pirate all the new releases, for the most part are college students that can't afford to go to the show and see every movie. So it's not money they'd have anyway... at least this way they can find a movie they'll like and go see it, rather than saying, I can't tell from that 30 second preview on the TV and wait for all of them to come out and then borrow the DVD that someone else bought.

Going after a 14 year old girl is another thing completely... I'd like to see them found guilty of wasting the courts time and fined, that's what I'd do if I was the judge... it's absolutely ridiculous.

Although, they now want 1 billion dollars for a satellite radio contract http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/05/tech...reut/index.htm.

The record industry may next aim its legal guns at satellite radio over a dispute involving new portable players that let listeners record and store songs, an analyst and industry sources said Wednesday.

Crockett said the RIAA may seek $1 billion plus in music rights fees for a new contract covering 2007 to 2012 to replace the current $80 million pact that expires in 2006.
    Peace,
    HT

Regal Making Handler
    I have mixed feelings regarding this...as an artist who has had stuff stolen by others I can see how piracy has ethical/criminal consequences...the right to profit from ones OWN work must supercede the right of others to profit from work that is NOT their own...
    Eg,

I don't think anyone of sound mind can argue with you there.

I would not, also, argue that some of those who are involved in P2P profit from what is available. However, it is my belief that the current/past aims of the RIAA, et al, is not to stop piracy it is only to control the distribution of works of art.

In the case we are talking about, I doubt very much whether there is any piracy involved, even if the mother or the child is actualy guilty of uploading downloading, copyrighted material. There must be a distinction.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry