Thread: Microsoft makes major security move

Microsoft makes major security move

AS EXPECTED, Microsoft has just outlined plans for a range of new corporate security services and products.

CEO Steve Ballmer and security VP Mike Nash jetted in to Germany to flesh out the announcement, which covers virus, spam and spyware protection.

The most important bit of the announcement covered a new enterprise-class, subscription-based service called Client Protection, a management console that lets IT managers generate reports and alerts on spyware, viruses and other types of malware. This will be available on beta late this year with no date yet set for full rollout. It has parallels with the Windows OneCare security service for consumers that’s been in production for a while.

"To help our customers combat the evolving threats and to have those rights protected, we are taking a holistic approach to security that includes developing new technology, partnering with the industry and keeping customers as educated as possible about how to stay ahead of the latest threats facing them," said Nash.

There’s also going to be a new anti-virus and anti-spam product next year based around the vendor’s buyout of Sybari earlier this year.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26757
    Microsoft makes major security move

Banned
    Am actually wondering if Microsoft will ever take the daring move to buy one of the major anti-virus companies. I think MacAfee or Symantec would be a bit expensive for them but a company like Kaspersky might improve their grip on the AV market.
    So far MS seems to buy only some smaller players though.

I even wonder if MS would buy Borland or at least the software development part from Borland so we would get a Microsoft Delphi and Microsoft C++Builder in the future. I hope not, though.

Katja ...............NO!

So far MS seems to buy only some smaller players though.
    That is exactly what we would expect...............they are buying "development teams" in their view.

You see, the larger the corporation the more "overhead", "baggage", luggage" it has. So, in the case of Norton & McAfee you are getting about 25% value and 75% "overhead".

With a small outfit you are probably getting 75% value and 25% overhead

What amuses me is that MS did have an AV product back in the old days, and dropped out of the market (as did IBM).................big mistake as it has turned out ?

Also, the larger and older a corporation, the more set in its ways?.................so if I buy a small, young outfit, I can integrate it into my business model?............with a fully matured corporation that would be difficult (trust me! I have been there )

A word of personal advice here Kat~ please try to get a business management/finance/accountancy/economics module whilst you are at university..............looks very good on your CV...............It is what I have recommended to several others on this site, and many more outside.

If you wish to continue this discussion, I am sure that EG~ won't mind, as it is an interesting facet of developments in the industry? like: where is it all going?

OH!..............on a personal note, thanks for the information...........I have now got one Dutch "rescue cactus" and a succulent..............and when an 18-wheeler delivers to your front door in a residential neighbourhood?

Regal Making Handler
    Microsoft's announcement that it will enter the AV market next year, with initial trials starting next week, could be a sign of many things to come, says SecurityFocus's Kelly Martin.
    Published Sunday 15th May 2005 10:13 GMT

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05..._anti-spyware/
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

A little background history on Microsoft and AV programs...

From June 2003...

Last week, Microsoft acquired GeCad, a little-known antivirus company from Romania. Though the deal, which was barely mentioned in the mainstream news and must still pass regulatory approval, will affect the antivirus community, I believe that, in the long run, it won't change things dramatically.

Why? Because Microsoft appears to have no intention of going head-to-head with antivirus big guns Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro. There are two major reasons why I think so.

Weak choice of AV vendor
    First, Microsoft has announced it will no longer distribute GeCad's desktop antivirus app, RAV AntiVirus. It wouldn't say that if it wanted to compete with Symantec's Norton AntiVirus or McAfee VirusScan.

The decision to kill RAV is probably wise.
    The decision to kill RAV is probably wise. The product isn't as capable as its competitors, according to tests conducted by independent magazine Virus Bulletin. In order to pass these tests, a product must be able to stop all known viruses. While no antivirus product has a perfect record, in 25 recent tests, RAV failed 19 times--a whopping 76 percent failure rate. By comparison, Norton AntiVirus passed 20 times and failed only 6.
    The software giant isn't new to antivirus technology. Back in the early 1990s, the company included an antivirus utility made by Central Point Software in its MS-DOS and early Windows operating systems. MSAV, as it was known, was short-lived, however. It was dropped from Windows shortly after Symantec acquired Central Point Software in 1994.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-1018204-1.html
    Security Watch: Microsoft an antivirus vendor? I doubt it - CNET reviews

Apparently Microsoft has tried on a few occasions to get into the AV market and then backed off or backed out...it'll be interesting to see if they follow the same pattern here.

If you wish to continue this discussion, I am sure that EG~ won't mind,
    You take the discussion anywhere you think it should go nihil...I'm sure whichever direction you take...the ride will be interesting.

Eg

Regal Making Handler
    Microsoft are not looking to go head to head with Symantec/McAfee as far I can see, they are looking at a subscription service, total PC care package.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/onecare/default.mspx
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by nihil
    A word of personal advice here Kat~ please try to get a business management/finance/accountancy/economics module whilst you are at university..............looks very good on your CV...............It is what I have recommended to several others on this site, and many more outside.
    I was considering doing something with econ as a minor maybe to my CS degree [since commerce courses are too damn expensive for me right now] but I'm not 100% sure of it yet... maybe this'll end up convincing me
    /\\

Banned
    It's fun though. Symantec starts complaining how Microsoft is going to take over the AV market, yet Microsoft just claims Windows is their own product and they can add anything to keep it secure as they like.

Btw, maybe MS won't take over Symantec or MacAfee, but Kaspersky is a little player, but still pretty succesful.
    Then again, maybe eBay will buy Kaspersky and then start working together with Sun and Google to have some fully integrated office product with IP-phone functionality and build-in virus protection.

Regal Making Handler
    Has anyone looked at the link I posted?

M$ are looking for re-newable income...................Vista don't work, there goes thier OS renewable income.

Jinxy, I think the Eskimos would take issue with the lead on that story/link.

Anyway, MS bought out a small anti-virus outfit some time ago. There was a posting on one of the forums when it happened. Not long ago, MS bought out Giant for the spyware product.

Are they building in-house talent? Yeah, probably.
    Will they be able to take on McAfee, Symantec, AVG, and all the rest right out of the gate?
    No. Chances are MS will fall flat on its face the first time. We can only hope that in this instance they will cut their losses and leave the AV market to the professionals.

Since when has MS entered a new market and won right away? Check your history. It will likely take two or three shots at it before they make something people will stick with.

I don't care what your flavor is for AV products. But, please tell me you would prefer any of the current crop over an MS product.