I'm applying for a job with a local employer, and their HR department uses a Word document with editing restrictions as their generic application. You can download the document, but you cannot alter the format in any way -- you can only fill in the blanks. The problem is, whoever created this document has mis-matched fonts, misplaced page breaks, and left other formatting errors all over the place. It's obvious that whoever did it didn't even test the entire document for apearances sake. The end result is an application I'm hoping will land me an interview, but that looks like it was created by a 5 year-old.

I could re-create the document from scratch, but that would require a good deal of time as the application is several pages long. Does anyone know of a way around this Word restriction?

I realize I'm being a bit lazy here trying to go the easy route, but I'm not looking forward to a weekend of futzing with Word and all the formatting on this app. I'm also open to other suggestions...

Hmmm...I have a scanner. Maybe I could just scan in the document, and then open it in the Gimp and layer the text over the appropriate boxes. Yeah! That should work!

Well, if anyone knows how to break the Word restriction, I'd be curious to know anyway. It would be nice to know how reliable that feature is. If it's pretty solid, I may use it myself in the future.