What is Linux?

Thread: What is Linux?

Exclamation What is Linux?

Well, at LinuxDevCenter they have this article that explains it for all the non-geeks.
    One very important thing to keep in mind is that Linux is not Unix! Apparantly there are some tests and certifications before it can be called Unix officially. But it's very Unix-like.

There are also some other interesting articles on that site, btw. Have fun reading them, if you're interested.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I don't think there's a serious attempt for it to become a Unix... from my experience there are still quite a few differences between how Unix handles itself and how Linux handles itself... and I don't mean binary compatibility but some of the more 'basic' [as in, at the foundation] stuff.

Anyway I love our penguin!

Nice post, I think I've actually read that before. That link inspired me to search for Linux history and came across this. Its a series of emails from one Linus Benedict Torvalds.
    meh. -ech0.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    It's quite simple who Linux is...he's the guy who plays the piano and who can't seem to get rid of Lucy...OPPS!

Sorry...that's Linus

Seriously...in the spirit of Linux...
    Torvalds originally used the Minix OS on his system which he replaced with his own OS, Linux (Linus' Minix). However, Torvalds thought the name "Linux" was too egotistical and planned to rename it Freax (a combination of "free", "freak", and the letter X to indicate a Unix-like system). But, before the name was changed, his friend Ari Lemmke encouraged Torvalds to upload Linux to a network so it could be easily downloaded. Ari, however, not happy with the Freax name, gave Torvalds a directory called linux on his FTP server.
    we shall now refer to all things Linux as " Freax "

Linus Torvalds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

********** |ceWriterguy
    What's Linux? Basically like all modern operating systems it's an offshoot of Unix, which begs the question: When will a truly NEW operating system be invented? Ditch the kernel. Write something new!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'm all for a new operating system that has no code whatsoever with any previous system.

Make it modular. make it fast. make it small. make it use xml (wait scratch that). Make it secure from the ground up write it with bufferoverflows and viruses in mind.

Make it a system where teh GUI and the CLI are equal in power and flexibility.

and last but not least. Make it be backwards compatible with my games!
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?