dcsimg

Thread: Recipes

Recipes

A lot of the Geeks/Techies/Gamers/Hackers I know enjoy 2 things (Caffeine & Spicy Food). I also know that everyone has a concoction that they made up and is original to them. So, I set on a mission to put a document together with a bunch of recipes and distribute it free off of my website.

If you have any recipes you would like to share or an idea for a title of the cook book you can post it here or email it to contact@zowned.com

Banned
    My recipe for eggsoup. Take an egg, put it in a pan of water and then call a friend. Keep it cooking for as long as the phonecall (About 45 minutes or more) before checking the status off the egg. Did that once and was banned from the kitchen ever since...

Hey Hey,

Cooking, now someone is speaking my language. My girlfriend is a chef (well working as a garde manger right now) and I come from a family of the best home cooking around (my picture will attest to that).

Right now we're big on slow cooker cooking. Although I've got a few personal recipes that I make from time to time that I'll include as well.

Creamy Chicken Soft Tacos

Ingredients:

1 pkg of Boneless, Skinless Chicken - either Breasts or Thighs
    1 jar of Salsa (I prefer chunky and make sure it's enough to cover the amount of chicken you have)
    1 cup of sour cream

Method:

Place Frozen Chicken in slow cooker and cover with salsa.
    Cook on high for 4 hours.
    Chicken Should be tender enough to stick in two forks and twist to shred the chicken
    Add the sour cream and cook for 1 more hour

Server on soft taco shells, or wraps.

French Dip Hoagies

Ingredients:

1 Beef Roast (2 - 3 pounds)
    2 can of Beef Consume
    BBQ Sauce
    Swiss Cheese
    Hoagie/Sub buns

Method:

Place the Roast in the slow cooker and add the two cans of consume.
    Cook on high for 4 hours and then low for another 3 - 4 hours.
    The roast should be tender enough to fall apart, take it out and place it in a bowl.
    Using two forks (or knives), shred the beef until it's very finely shredded.
    Line the bun with swiss cheese and the shredded beef, top with bbq sauce.
    Fill a bowl with the liquid in the slow cooker, dip your sandwich in this sauce.

Beer Chicken

Ingredients:

1 Whole Chicken
    2-3 Bottles of your favourite beer.
    Butter
    Salt

Method:

Pat butter over the outside of the entire chicken
    Cover it heavily with salt, ensure that you also pour salt inside it.
    Place the chicken in the slow cooker and pour over the beer.
    Cook until the chicken has an internal temp of 175F

Homemade Ravioli

Ingredients:

1.5 pkgs Wonton Wrappers (approx 75 wrappers)
    1 Tub Feta Cheese
    1 - 2 Bags of Spinich (1 bag if you want really cheesey ravioli, two if you want a little less cheese)
    1 - 2 Eggs

Method:

Cook the spinich very quickly and then place in ice cold water to shock it (We want to maintain the colour). (If you don't buy Baby Spinich remember to remove the stems)
    Place the spinich and feta into a food processor, add 1 egg as a binder and mix until you have a smooth filling.
    Mix the remaining egg in a bowl.
    Lay out a wonton wrapper and using a pastry brush, brush the edges with egg to hold the wrappers together, place about a tsp of filling in the center and place another wonton wrapper over top, pressing the edges together. I find the best way to press together is to do the top and then the bottom and at the same place place a finger from each hand along the sides of the wrappers. Repeat until you have enough Ravioli.
    Drop in boiling water (be sure to add a generous amount of oil to the water to prevent sticking).
    Remove from the water after a couple minutes and be sure to layer in a serving dish, adding your prefered sauce between each layer to prevent sticking.

Shimp and Veggies

Ingredients

1 pkg shrimp (shelled and deveined, cooked if it's all you can find but be careful with cooked shrimp, they become chewy very fast)
    1 Green Bell Pepper
    1 Red Bell Pepper
    1 Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper (Optional for Colour)
    1 Onion (Spanish, Red or simple cooking)
    1 bulb of garlic (or 2 tbsp of the prechopped garlic in oil)
    1 pkg of fresh mushrooms
    A generous amount of butter.
    2 Lemons (or lemon juice)

Method

Slice the vegetables to bitesize pieces (ensure to completely remove the inside white sections of the peppers to avoid bitterness, slice the mushrooms vertically into about 4 pieces)
    Place about half the butter in a skillet and add the vegetables (Onions and Garlic first, Then the Mushrooms and Peppers).
    While your vegetables are softening, place the shrimp in a bowl and add a generous amount of pepper. Then squeeze the juice of the two lemons over the shrimp, let that sit and soak while the veggies are cooking.
    Remove the veggies from the eat when they are softened. and put the shrimp over heat, until it's cooked. If you are using cooked shrimp, keep it over the heat for only 30-60 seconds to warm it.
    Add the veggies to the shrimp skillet and mix until evenly spread.

This can then be served over rice, or my preference rice noodles which are done with a pad thai sauce. It is also great when served on it's own.

There's my first contribution.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I cant give you specific examples but somewhere I have a cookbook made by the the people who run www.askmen.com ( I think) its called "101 things you can make out of a can" or something along those lines, oviously i dont use it as much as i should lol but anyway Its a good book for poor college students like myself lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    I cant give you specific examples but somewhere I have a cookbook made by the the people who run www.askmen.com ( I think) its called "101 things you can make out of a can" or something along those lines, oviously i dont use it as much as i should lol but anyway Its a good book for poor college students like myself lol
    Hey Hey,

We've got a cookbook along those lines, it's called The Can Opener Gourmey by Laura Karr... I'm not sure that we've ever opened because we're not ones to eat out of a can, but it does have some interesting recipies.

As far as a good book for poor college students, those recipes that I listed, none of them cost more than $10.00 and they feed two of us for two meals. That's 4 meals for a college student and works out to less than $2.50/meal. I learned to cook at home from family, but I honed my skills as a poor college student.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

This is an old family recipe, and you can make it as hot as you want to. Remember that some of the heat will be absorbed with the rice you serve it over, so you can make it a little spicier than you might normally.

Shrimp Etouffee

1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 large onion, choppped
    1 small green bell pepper, chopped
    1 medium celery rib, chopped
    1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tsp salt
    cayenne pepper to taste
    1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
    1 tsp minced parsley

In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over MEDIUM heat. Add onion, green pepper and celery and saute, stirring frequently, until the onion is browned, about 15 minutes. Add the shrimp, salt, cayenne and cook, stirring frequently until the shrimp turn pinnk, about 3 minutes.

Sprinkle the flour over shrimp and vegetable mixture and toss well to coat. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.

If more gravy is desired, add another Tbsp of flour and another 1/2 cup of water.

Sprinkle w/ parsley and serve over white rice.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I am in self-destruct mode

Peach Surprise:

Ingredients: 1 gallon can of peaches & 6 bottles of brandy.

Method: Drink the six bottles of brandy..........then try to find the peaches..........

Talking

Method: Drink the six bottles of brandy..........then try to find the peaches........
    Once you find the peaches... Smoke some weed for dessert
    then come here and post reply

Old Fart
    Blackened Cajun Catfish

2 tablespoons paprika
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons lemon pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil (crushed)
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme

4 catfish fillets (farm raised are best)
    1 cup unsalted butter, melted

Combine the spices and mix well. Dip fillets in melted butter, coat with spices and place on wax paper.

Heat large cast iron or aluminum skillet over med-high heat for 10 minutes

Cook fish 2 at a time, 2-3 minutes per side or until blackened, it should flake easily with a fork. Serves 4.

Make sure you have plenty of your favorite beverage on hand as this is HOT!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...