Thread: proxy

proxy

hello everyone, im new and ive got a few qestions to ask, if some could piont me in the right direction i would be greatfull,
    is using proxy servers illeagle
    and where is the best place to look for these.?

thanks

Greeting's

Try www.antionline.com or even www.google.com

I am not sure if it is illegal to use a proxy but you have to check your local laws and more importantly for what you want to use a proxy server.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Try this they are not illegal to use - providing you are not using them for illegal purposes, if that makes sence??

im only going to be using this to secure my computer. to make me anomous to any unwanted tracking or anything else. ive been told its the best way to stay secure.

thanks for your replies..

Using proxy servers is not the best way to remain secure. It's like throwing a circus tent over a house before you decide to burlarize it. (ty groovicus for the comparison) It tells eveyone that you may be hiding something, making you more of a target than others. In any case, anyone wishing to know which sites you are browsing simply needs to ask the owner of the proxy you are using instead of your ISP. Just one more step. Of course, if you use a proxy in an unfriendly country, perhaps Libya, that might be difficult. Or one in a country with exceptionally powerful freedom and privacy laws, Norway comes to mind, it might be just as difficult (although the EU has forced those laws to change in many of the more liberal countries). The security is largely a matter of the proxy you are using, who owns it, and what laws protect it.

Whether or not it is illegal depends greatly on where you live, and where the proxy server is. If you do so without permission, it may well be considered theft of services. You are not, as far as I can tell, asking permission from the operators of these proxies to use them. This puts them well within their rights to accuse you of stealing their services, which they might otherwise be charging a fee for. But in and of itself, the act of using a proxy server is not illegal, in any of the countries that I can think of.

It will, however, make spyware difficult to track you. Not much more difficult to install, as they use other avenues of attack to infect you, but once they are on your computer, these programs generally track you by your address. They see a proxy address instead, thereby confusing you with oodles of other users. It makes technuiqes such as transparent gifs and/or web bugs pretty useless, since those bugs are now downloaded to a proxy, according to the server you request the page from, and not you. But be careful which proxy you use, if this is your purpose. A good number pass the request along transparently, and give the server you are connecting to no indication that there is even a proxy between you and it. Some blatantly place your address in the header fields (HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR x.x.x.x). Most bud guys will get that forwarded_for address and use that instead of the proxy address. So be sure you have a way of actually seeing what the requests look like after they get sent out from the proxy, or you will have no way to actually ensure their effectiveness.

If you do your research, it can hold some spyware at bay. But it's still not much of a security measure.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

thanks very much for the insight. its made me a bit dubious now with laws and stuff. i will do a bit more research and maybe take a different approach to securing my computer.
    since iv become interested in hacking its made me abit paranoid.
    the internet is a big world and the are some really talented people outthere compared to me. so securing myself from any malware spyware viri and any other types infections or tracking seems to be goal number 1.

Kip my mate Striek is spot on....................you are talking "security by obscurity" which does not work

If you are connected you are vulnerable.............via a proxy or not

Please check out some of the tutorials here as to how to "harden" your system, and to get security tools.........................a proxy is not security..............

While it’s true that web servers you surf to will only log the ip of the proxy your using and while it may protect you from some cookies the proxy server has a record of everywhere you go all in one log…do you know the people running the proxy?

Your best bet is to allow cookies only from sites you approve, completely deny third party cookies and images, keep your system up to date on patches and stay away from disreputable sites if possible. Don’t sign up for any mailing lists so nobody can put a name to your ip. In other words just be careful
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thanks guys...
    knowledge is power

One more warning about using proxies....the owner of the proxy box can sniff your traffic.
    Blankety Blank Blank Blank!