Thread: M$ To Buy "Every Song Worth Hearing" ??

M$ To Buy "Every Song Worth Hearing" ??

In a statement released Friday, Microsoft’s Corporate Vice President of Worldwide Retail Sales and Marketing, Andrew L. Jaffe, announced an $8 Billion deal that would allow Microsoft to buy EMI Group, Warner Music Group, Vivendi’s Universal Music Group and Sony BMG. Pending an anti-trust approval, this deal would put all 4 of the industry’s major music labels under one roof.

Citing frustrations over failed talks to negotiate acceptable licensing terms for its own upcoming subscription music service, Microsoft ironically decided to take a page from Apple’s iTunes music store. “We didn’t like the idea of “renting” music from the big labels.” says Jaffe. “It was important to us to know that at then end of the day, we OWNED something. To that end, we have purchased what amounts to ‘Every Song Worth Hearing’. This new slogan really sums up what we think will be a refreshing change for the consumer who currently has to spend time searching around to figure out which music service has which songs/artists. Now it will be easy. We have them all, and the others do [will] not.”

So what does this mean for other online music services, such as Apple’s iTunes music store and Real’s Rhapsody? Jaffe explains, “[Apple and Real’s] …deals with the labels end in 2006, and we fully intend to honor those contracts. Looking forward, we see those other services as great places for consumers to find unsigned and unknown talent, and our service to be where they buy songs that don’t suck.”

Neither Apple nor Real was available for comment.

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/31

/edit : I have done a little looking around and can't find anything to support this, though I don't see why it isn't possible.

Isn't there something in the consumer protections against Monopolies, wouldn't that be the same as if all of the Oil companies were bought out by say BP, and then once the competition is gone. Set the prices to what they think is right.

Granted the consumer still has the right to not buy from them, but then where would they get their gas, probably not a good anology, buying music not quite the same as buying gas, but I think the principle is there. Competition is healthy, keeps everyone on their toes, if they are bought up then stagnation creeps in and finally a rotten product.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I don't know, but $8 Billion seems like a low number for all of them?

Banned
    I don't buy it... on the other hand: there are a bunch of articles online (again from not-so-reputable sources) saying that the talks have ended.

But I still don't buy it

You better "buy" it. You think RIAA are *******s and dick heads, Microsoft is going to make them look like Saint Assissi. (SP?)

As for every song worth hearing, Misfits Records, Hellcat Records, FatWreck-Chords, and Evilive Records aren't on there.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Maybe they should buy a Vaccum cleaner company... Atleast that way when it sucks.....

$8billion does not seem like enough?

Anyway why buy a whole company with a heap of infrastructure when all you want are the internet rights. Particularly 4 companies with similar infrastructures?

Given that the major recording companies don't seem to have much of an idea about online business, it would make sense for them to duck the issue and sell the rights to someone else?

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    joke...

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/category/humor/
    Maybe not! At an impasse

Give Bill some time,I am sure it's only a drop in the bucket for this guy.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Yes dalek this sounds much more like it:

over the licensing terms for a new online music subscription service,
    I cannot see the recording industry getting that together by themselves. Maybe they will realise that a part of something is better than all of nothing?