Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employment Section

Employment Section

I had an idea, and thought I'd toss it out there for the admins to mull over.

What about a section for security employment? Somewhere that people could post jobs, and discuss employment-related topics. I know, they could probably do those things elsewhere, but perhaps having that for AntiOnline members only would be handy.

Just $0.02
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

Um not a good idea since like i know of only 2 member that live in the same place as me (Ohio)....so we're here all over the world...
    O.G at A.O

Not a bad idea but maybe not so much for jobs as more for what qualifications are needed for what jobs. What say a qualification like CCNA will get you.

Or, if someone has just sat an exam for a course they can post the type of questions they had, any area that have been updated on the exam etc

I teach various courses and know that the criteria changes all the time as i'm sure others do here, posting the latest criteria could help someone know what to study and what not to study etc.

Or if they have been for job interview, what they where asked, any tests they sat etc, give poeople a heads up on common questions asked when going for an IT type job etc etc.

I know of a few of my students who would greatly benifit from a forum like this....

just my £0.00002p worth!

/I know there is the training/conference forum but this would be more exact maybe??

Maybe just renamed the Training forum, we don't any more emtpy forums IMO....
    O.G at A.O

Hey Hey,

©opy®ight: I Believe you're missing the word need from your reply.

I'm still not sure I understand why people care if there are empty forums or not. How much does it cost for JupM to add a new forum? Practically nothing. (Someone's wages for a couple of minutes, but they're going to be paid either way.) What benefit is there to adding a new forum: Possible new members (money for JupM), More searches that they show results in.

Pretend I pay you $25.00 for every ad that someone visiting your site sees about my site. Let's say you had 4 visitors... I'd pay you $100.00, if adding a new forum brought you just one more visitor you'd be up to $125.00... an increase of 25%.. Now look at that on a grand scale.. it shouldn't necessarily be what current members think will work.. it should be what everyone thinks will work. From my college, every 4 months, between the programming and networking programs, there are over 60 graduates... that's 180 people every year from 1 school. What's the first thing they're doing.. looking for a job. Sure they aren't into security because that wasn't their favourite part of the course, but they come here and find an IT job... they've signed up now and as they work they come back here because this site helped them find that job, now it's going to help them with problems that arise in the future.

I subscribe to the security focus jobs mailing list.. Give me a jobs forum... I'll gladly transpose those postings into the forum every week and then others can contribute from local sources that they're aware of. I know you said that members aren't near you so it won't benefit you, but how many people relocate for careers... I've got friends here in London, ON... One of them is searching for a job out West and another is looking to go work in Scotland. If you post local jobs, it could be a great resource to people looking to work and see the world and a great way to find out about international positions, especially worthwhile ones.

Peace,
    HT

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I would go for it. It would be cool if you broke it down by location as to where the jobs are. ie, job X is located in dallas Texas. and Nokia's idea about a Test king sorta thing is cool too
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    The problem of an employment section is that it is region-based. For example, there are many people in India who have some interesting job offers, but if you happen to live in the USA, it's just useless information. (Unless you want to emigrate.) Or even within the USA it could be a problem. Say you live in sunny California and all you see here are job offers in and around New York... Or worse, Alaska... Move or not?

What would be more useful is a section about getting employed, though. For example, information about useful knowledge for a certain kind of job, maybe even some good examples in how to write your letter of application. Maybe just information about what a certain job actually means. For example, what is it that a system administrator is actually doing for a living? What do you need to know? What about the proper education? Is there a difference between administrators in small and large companies?

<edit>£$%&, I got interrupted while typing and now notice that someone else also mentioned something similar to my comment. Oh, well. Just shows why a generic employment section would not be very useful.</edit>

Hey Hey,

I still don't understand why people still feel that a generic employment section is a bad idea... Do you know how to read? Generic employment is what this field is all about.. It's not like there are hundred of IT Security or even IT jobs in every single area.... There's a good chance that many people looking for an IT job will relocate... it's just the nature of it... Besides we have good world wide coverage here... just because the job doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it won't apply to someone else.... A lot of people on this site are very selfish.... They only want want benefits them.

Peace,
    HT

I would disagree Katja. Firstly, how do any of us know what might be useful to other users? Just because some of us might not be interested in jobs in a region doesn't mean no one is. I myself am looking for a job well beyond my current geographic location. Also, and this is more of a personal thing, I'd be curious to watch where the majority of jobs are coming up, or if they're fairly evenly dispersed.

However, the kind of posts you're suggesting would also be suitable in such a section - it would be a general ************* for employment-related info.
    \"The future stretches out before us, uncharted. Find the open road and look back with a sense of wonder. How pregnant this moment in time. How mysterious the path ahead. Now, step forward.\"
    Phillip Toshio Sudo, Zen Computer
    Have faith, but lock your door.

Like HT said, its not hard to add another forum, no-one knows if it will be useful or not until its there. Personaly I think it would get used, maybe not mainly for jobs, but for course info maybe to see what someone who has sat an exam I was about to take, has to say about it, what job would i get if I had such and such a course etc.

Jobs are not always related to a specific area either, I know IBM are recruiting for people to implement VoIP all over the UK at moment, so allthough I live in portsmouth someone in Manchester could benifit from that, ask where to send his CV etc.

Cisco have very recently added a huge chunk on NAT to the CCNA exam, im sure someone could benifit from knowing that, if they are studying for it.

//When I say post about an exam that has been taken, I dont mean post the answers, just say about the exam format, things that helped them, what they could have done better, area to spend more revison time one etc.