Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Directory Real-time Monitoring Tool?

Active Directory Real-time Monitoring Tool?

Are there any tools out there (freeware or pay) that monitor user sessions in real-time for Windows 2003 Active Directory?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Google search

Monitoring Tool

Im not sure if thats what ur looking for, i just did a quick Google search.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Thank you for your advice, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I too have done many google searches and have not found what I'm looking for. I currently use freeware tools to monitor my servers performance, bandwidth, and other essential data. What I'm looking for is a tool that monitors Active Directory user sessions in real-time. For example I need a tool that displays who is currently logged in, when they logged in, session ID, OU, etc. I hope this clears things up a bit.

Thanks

perhaps you are looking for something that would parse the event log?
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

That is a good start. If I can write something that grabs the security audits in the event log and constantly updates. But, I still can't find a place (even in the event logs) that displays the user (username) that logs in to a particular machine.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but it is damm close, and I have seen them customize thir monitors for spacific needs before (of course you pay through the nose for that service.)

http://www.netiq.com/solutions/secur...nistration.asp

As for useres logged into a machine you need to look into your security policy and make sure you are logging sucessfull logins then it will show up in the security logs.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Thank you everyone. This is really getting somewhere...Maestr0: That was great info...is there a simple VB program or something I can really customize and configure to read the event logs, grab the information I need, and update the information every like 15-30sec.? I would like to display the info in a spreadsheet like graph (think console snap-in) and be able to create graphs and catagorize the data for easy viewing. I know I'm asking a lot but, maybe what I'm looking for dosen't exist and with some help form you guys I can develop somehthing that will be very useful to MS Admins.

unonthedl: it exists allready, netiq basicly dose that, if you grab a copy of redmond magazine you will see add for a number of compnaies with this product (all my mags are currently unacessable ) try looking up active directory managment tools on msn or google.

You may also want to look at the micrsoft windows 2003 admin pack or resource kit tools. I havnt' dealt with the 2k3 versions of these products but they may have what you are looking for