Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory cannot be "written"

Just out of interest is your hard drive nearly full, say about 70%?

//Oh and do you use any norton software or adobe photoshop elements (v1?)? Or any photoshop program?

Have your CPU clocked or entered the cpu/memory speeds/multiplier manualy into the BIOS

Well, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, no problems found.

Then ran Western Digital's Lifeguard diagnostic program on my HDD...no problems found.

So it looks like those two are ruled out.

I am having fewer problems now. I can burn a DVD without blue screening and a memory dump now, so that's an improvement. I don't get "cannot be written to memory" messages quite so often now either. The last time I got one was once earlier today, shutdown my Firefox and I had to restart the browser.

But so far memory and HDD checks out ok...

Just out of interest is your hard drive nearly full, say about 70%?
    12.5 GB used, 16.0 GB free.

Oh and do you use any norton software or adobe photoshop elements (v1?)? Or any photoshop program?
    Nope. No Norton, no Photoshop.

I'll look into the CPU clocking, that's new territory for me...

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    If you have a memory cant be "read" problem is that kinda the same thing?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Not sure I follow Tex...Same as what?

I think he means is it the Memory cant ve read the same as memory cant be written?

Not really memory cant be read would nearly always be a hardware or configuration fault, memory cant be written could be a multitude of things, software hogging memory that is needed by another app is the usual fault.

AngelicKnight Do you know what was the last thing you installed before this problem started was?

How much space have you allocated to your virtual memory?
    Have you tried reinstalling FF since this seems to be giving you problems?

What are your system specs?

AOs Resident Troll
    Memory cant be read

We used to get this on a NT 4 machine, and Autocad.......
    Machine would crash with this error..

Bad mouse driver...believe it or not...3 weeks of update, uninstalling..disabling stuff

reverted back to a previous logitec driver and the memory errors stopped...after replacing memory, removing software, etc

sounds like a software\driver issue more so than hardware to me

what else is happening running when this occurs???

MHO of course

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    well I do have a problem with memory not being "read" but i will be a gentleman and start my own thread lol i wont hog this one.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Ah, now I'm getting "The instruction '0x2d82fa63' referenced memory at "0x00000008'. The memory could not be 'read'." I got the message after closing an Adobe Reader document.

So there's a sign of a bad memory stick, right? I tried putting in some other memory sticks yesterday, so it's gotta be one of those two. I'll scope it out.

[edit] Ok, found and removed the stick, now it's passing memory tests again. A shame, that was a 256mb stick too, so that bumped me down quite a bit. So, what do to do? Do I just throw this sad little stick away, or can something else been done with its remains?

AK, i dont think that is a memory stick problem. It seems more like a software problem.
    If it is random (e.g. it is ocurring in several programs) i would suspect of :

- video / mouse / driver
    - antivirus - ive got this kind of sympton on a buggy norton antivirus (a lot of blue screens during probram close)
    - other weird stuff that you are using on your windows, like pdf writers (printers) and so on.

BTW Its easy to check memory stick. Just run memtest for a few hours and you will see.
    If is a HW problem, maybe it is not on stick but instead on MoBo.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

The Common thread here (excuse the wording) seems to be the Adobe/Acrobat program.These guys want $10.00 for the solution http://search.experts-exchange.com/s...=34&Submit.y=7

You could try uninstalling Adobe (along with everything else which comes with it) and reinstall or uninstall and use Foxit instead

This may clear up some of what's happening.

If you are not experiencing driver issues, then you may have crapware on the PC and need to scan for the culprits.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson